• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cast Iron Cookware discussion thread...

BTW here's a pic of my actual wok whisk. It's 7" and a bit over a year old. Out of the box all the bamboo slats were straight but it fans out with use.

20160824_234723.jpg

Here's a pic of the old cast iron I pulled out of that camp box. Not shown is the small 6" skillet; I found that on a subsequent dive. Next to them is the 12" one I've been using for around 6 months now; my goal is to get them all to look like that.

20160806_174426.jpg

Note there was some rust on the big 13"-er. I've since cleaned it up, seasoned it, and have been using it in my daily cooking to build and mature the seasoning. Here's what it looks like now. Progress, but still some way to go. If you look carefully, you might notice a spiral pattern. That was left over from the machining to smooth it; it's the only one that shows that. I think it's pretty cool... That pan is also a bit thicker than the others, it's really a heavy beast...

20160824_234257.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the wok's a little different (congrats on getting a carbon steel one instead of a non-stick piece of crap BTW). I guess you could use the same oven method for it, but you'd have to remove the handles, if you can.

View attachment 273747

Ahhhhh.....wooden spatula. That makes sense. I recall now my dad (who bought me the WOK) used wood. Odd he never imparted that knowledge on me, then again he probably did and I was too immature to be paying attention.

The inside of your WOK and mine look very similar. That uniform seasoning coating is what I'm trying to get. I like your tips, thank you.

Once the cooler weather comes I'll be sure to try.

Here's a pic of the old cast iron I pulled out of that camp box. Not shown is the small 6" skillet; I found that on a subsequent dive. Next to it is the 12" one I've been using for around 6 months now; my goal is to get them all to look like that.

View attachment 273793

Note there was some rust on the big 13"-er. I've since cleaned it up, seasoned it, and have been using it in my daily cooking to build and mature the seasoning. Here's what it looks like now. Progress, but still some way to go. If you look carefully, you might notice a spiral pattern. That was left over from the machining to smooth it; it's the only one that shows that. I think it's pretty cool... That pan is also a bit thicker than the others, it's really a heavy beast...

View attachment 273794
"The beast" looks pretty damn good. Especially from what you started with. Definately can see the TLC you have given it.

Man all this cooking talk is killing me. I'm getting super hungry.

Some may ask, why cast iron?

Simple answer - it cooks better.

I was just fine with my non-stick anodized aluminum, but after that first meal that I had to use cast iron to move it to the oven, it just impressed me enough that I kept using it. And now I'm a fan.

"It cooks better? What does that mean?"

Cast iron has a reputation for heating evenly. That's a bit of a myth; iron is actually a poor conductor of heat, it can have hot spots and cool spots like anything else. What it actually does better is retain and radiate heat.

The effect of better retaining heat - placing a load of cool food into a hot pan cools the pan down, which then has to recover. With a properly preheated cast iron pan, not so much, the effect is negligible. Better cooking, better searing. Just check out that picture I posted earlier, the one with the wok - those are turkey patties in the cast iron, look at that beautiful caramelization...

The effect of better radiating heat - there's a 0 - 1 rating called emissivity that measures how well an object radiates heat, the higher the better. Stainless steel, for example, has an emissivity of .07; the heat is transferred primarily through conduction, i.e. the food being in contact with the pan, not radiation. But cast iron has an emissivity of .64, which is pretty dang good. You're not just cooking the food that's in contact, you're cooking a good deal of the food above it, too, from radiated heat. Much better for pan roasting, etc.

There are other pros to cast iron but for me at least, "cooking better" is what makes the difference.

Here's a pic of the old cast iron I pulled out of that camp box. Not shown is the small 6" skillet; I found that on a subsequent dive. Next to it is the 12" one I've been using for around 6 months now; my goal is to get them all to look like that.

View attachment 273793

View attachment 273794
That top picture with the pan on the left has a perfect looking seasoning. Almost looks like it's ceramic coated.

"Cooking better" is all the reason you need! I have 30-odd pieces of Le Creuset but some of those are very situational and don't get much use - the tagine for instance. Probably six or seven in at least weekly use.

So last night I got home and wife had dinner started (fish) and asks if I can get veggies going. All fired up for a reason to pull out my cast iron I get right on it. Turns out I have a Lodge (thanks @kronin323 on the brief history lesson, now I know I have a decent quality pan).

I can't stand over cooked or under cooked veggies. I never have this problem with my CI, ever. Last night was zuchini with a little onion in olive oil with a little bit of italian seasoning. Onions got a tad bit carmelized while the zuchini stayed firm and crisp on every piece. Just the way I like it.

My wife always uses aluminum (which I can't stand). Anyway, your previous post about retaining heat and cooking evenly is why I love this pan along with the flavoring and uniformity it cooks food. I haven't found a better pan to my liking. As long as I pre-heat then back off the burner just a bit so it doesn't get too hot it's perfect.

A while back ago I made some killer pan seared scallops using this pan. Nice and carmelized on the outside and tender on the inside. The flavor was fantastic. All with just a little but of salt and pepper.

I am now seriously considering at stock pot for stews/chili (especially with football season right around the corner)

I took some pics but having issues pulling off my phone. Seasoning isn't bad but could use some work

A couple of people have mentioned the French brand Le Creuset - I've never used those but I understand they're enameled.

I put enameled cast iron grates in my Weber gas grill but the enamel has long since worn off.

I assume the use and care of enameled cast iron differs from the regular stuff? Any of you Le Creuset users care to share how you clean and maintain them?

Back