• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

CE markings

CSA is NOT as good as UL.

Canadian UL and CSA are different entities. UL is an American convention and adopted to Canadian, but must specify C UL or C UR for components to be used. CSA is a design standards body, and to conform to CSA the ESA standards must be followed and individual machines must be tested for conformity. C UL can be justified by markings, listings, and designs, CSA/ESA cannot and must be tested.

At least that's how I understand it.

Yes, the machines we were CSA certifying were being actually tested. But only a single example of the machine had to be tested, not every one going out the door. But any design changes required retesting.

We pay a guy from Canada to come over and run our machines through a little test. He checks labels, safety information, fusing, schematics, everything. Hooks up a little tester box for inrush and overload ratings. Then we get a little $0.99 label and the machine goes out the door.

It's not a huge cost or hassle, and we maybe do it once a year. Probably a lot easier in Detroit area than Texas.

We pay a guy from Canada to come over and run our machines through a little test. He checks labels, safety information, fusing, schematics, everything. Hooks up a little tester box for inrush and overload ratings. Then we get a little $0.99 label and the machine goes out the door.

It's not a huge cost or hassle, and we maybe do it once a year. Probably a lot easier in Detroit area than Texas.
Now imagine doing that across 28 different countries rather than 2, each with different national standards, and the reason for CE regs being as convoluted as they are starts to become clear. Plus a bunch of people in Brussels churning out guff to justify their jobs...

started to read this thread but soon decided to catch up on all the madman/badman threads instead!

(very informative tho - good work).

Last edited:
Interesting to read posts that vaguely have to do with my job. The plant I work in is ISO 9001, TS 16949, SAE, and UL certified. We get audited in October every year and its insane.

We had a guy on the payroll qualified to perform the testing. He'd test the applicable standards and send the results into CSA, who'd review then issue the certification.

uploadfromtaptalk1427836583802.jpg

Forgot I took this after I read this post.

Back