• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Central Africa and Sapphire Iridium

Agent Smith

Oakley Beginner
The story is I might be going to central Africa next year and I may need to get myself a pair of Balck iridiums, either as a set of lenses for my Flak 2.0 or go creative and customise a new pair of Oakleys. Hopefully next year there maybe more customise options out there. However doing some research one person on trip advisor mentioned people will require a yellow tint lens to block out the UV 400-500 blue light. So in theory I require the Fire Iridium since it contains some sort of yellow tint and is the strongest in it set.

In the meantime I'm seeing a lot of Sapphire Iridium glasses and there isn't a lot about them on the internet. So are they worth considering or are blue lenses over rated? I just find it odd they're in every new Oakley frames and there isn't a great deal about them on the web.

At the moment I own

Black framed Flak 2.0 Grey polarised for driving
Black framed Flak 2.0 Bronze Polarised casual
Customise Flak 2.0 Jade lens casual
Customise Flak 2.0 Prizm Road for running/cycling
Customise Flak 2.0 Prizm Track for running/cycling

So with owning Bronze and Jade is there any point even thinking about the Sapphire Iridium and the fact I may have to get Fire iridium?

Yes, absolutely, get what you like, lol. Fire Iridium as a lens is not great for direct sunlight man, that's only my personal opinion. Africa=Tons of direct sunlight. I would think you need to block out as much as as possible. I'd take a black iridium polarized for sure. Other members will be more knowledgeable, but personally I'd skip the fire lens... @kronin323 would probably have some good input here.

Last edited:
All Oakley lenses should block 100% of UV. So any lens should work. Fire isn't really a yellow tint lens. It is a contrast lens with a yellowish coating. If you want dark, BIP might be the way to go. A VR28 BIP might be a good option as it is has a low light transmission, but still gives colors a little more pop. Bronze should work too.

I live in South Africa, but have been up to Central Africa and North Africa. Black Iridium Polarized is the go-to lens you want.

I like to thank everyone for their input. Looks like I will be getting Black Iridium Polarized Flak 2.0 and as a precaution take my Flak 2.0 Bronze pair with me aswell. Earlier in the year I went on safari to Botswana and my original pair of Oakley broke in my pocket during the game drive. So it make sense as a precaution not only to bring with me two pairs but make sure the frames are the same aswell. So if one of the frames does break during the trip, I can still use the lenses during and after the trip. All I need to do is remember to put the glasses in the camera bag and not in the shorts side pocket.

I like to thank everyone for their input. Looks like I will be getting Black Iridium Polarized Flak 2.0 and as a precaution take my Flak 2.0 Bronze pair with me aswell. Earlier in the year I went on safari to Botswana and my original pair of Oakley broke in my pocket during the game drive. So it make sense as a precaution not only to bring with me two pairs but make sure the frames are the same aswell. So if one of the frames does break during the trip, I can still use the lenses during and after the trip. All I need to do is remember to put the glasses in the camera bag and not in the shorts side pocket.

And you only have to forget to do this once to give yourself a really bad day, lol Have fun on your trip!

Latest Posts

Back