• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Changing Lenses On X Metals?

racs09

Oakley Enthusiast
California
For the Xmetal owners out there. I wanted to change the lens on the juliet but wanted to know the consequences. I saw on some post that the common problem is stripped screws, and of course scratching lenses if not careful. But i was also wondering if the frame could lose its threading due to screwing and un screwing, has this ever happened to anyone? Sorry for being paranoid, just want to make sure i take good care of my juliets. Thanks

Always use a higher grade T6 screwdriver, preferable with a hardened tip, check tip for any blunt, else replaced. Ensure the T6 screwdriver sit/sink deeply into the orbital screw before you tighten or lossen the screws, in this case, you wont hv a stripped screws. The orbital tread will never lose its treading if you do not over-tighten, it is the least of your many worries.

How to find the sweet spot of orbital screw tightness: one quick way is to ensure that the orbital gasket jus manage to hold its grip lightly clamped down by the 2 orbital openings. You do not want to overtighten such that the gasket gets squashed and flattened out nor do you want to lightly tigthen the screws such that the gaskets feels filmsy and loose.

In a nutshell: caress your X-baby as if it's the last pair on earth and you would get it right. No venture No gain!

incorrect Maul. the gaskets are meant to be compressed, so that the tension keeps the torx screw from rattling loose.
not tightening down your screws is a sure way to lose a screw later on.. this is simple mechanics and it applies to everything, from cars to, in this case, sunglasses.

by no means squah the gasket flat, but you need it to be partways compressed

Just make sure if you have a coated frame to set the driver centrally into the hole as not to catch the edges of the driver on the frame and remove/mark the finish. I always wrap right up to the tip of the driver with a few turns of Sellotape so of it does happen to touch the sides you are safe.

The more you think about it the more likely you are to mess it up. Have you ever screwed/unscrewed a screw? I'd wager you have, so you'll be fine. It's a screw, not rocket science.

So i changed the lenses. The lenses i changed are authentic oakley replacement lenses. But why is it the right lens is loose in the frame? Is it normal that some lenses are like these? I checked the gasket and it is correctly in placed.

Back