• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Charge / Replace or...? TBI battery question.

Esper

Oakley Enthusiast
Berlin
IMG_7523.jpg

Hi Everyone.

I have two TB MKI's - a Ti/White and a Stealth/Black. The stealth is my daily wearer and the Ti gets worn occasionally. Both have had their capacitors changed for upgraded Lithium Ion batteries.

Sadly however the Ti has wound down and even by placing it on charge inside my Philips candle charger won't get it beyond its 2 tick arm movement. The candle charger is great with my wife's two conventional capacitor'd Ion's however it's not doing the trick with my Ti TB 1.

So, is it a case of placement on the charger or do I need to swap out the Li battery? Am I looking for different charger, like the tooth brush model?

In a funny kind of way, I'd almost be tempted to step back to the existing capacitor arrangement, if makes for easy recharging when I want to use the Ti.

Up until now I'd been wearing the Ti once a week to keep it topped up - and that seemed to work fine - but I'd been away on a long assignment and it seems to have discharged whilst I was away.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
When lithium batteries go to zero charge they can degrade if not used regularly. If the battery has been sitting on empty for 1 year or more it’s probably toast. Good news is it’s cheap to replace as it sounds like you have changed them before? ( just put in a new capacitor ). I have replaced it once and found it pretty straight forward to do.

If you leave a watch sitting it’s a good idea to pull out the crown to keep some charge in the battery. Optimum is 50% charge.

Thanks Lupetto. I’ve been wearing it on and off each week so it hasn’t been there for a year. That said, I’ll take it into the Galleria Kaufhof watch dept here in Berlin (similar to Debenham’s, Macy’s) and see if it’s a simple battery swap. Nice tip about the crown. I’ll be doing that from now on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most tech nowadays is battery dependent so I do as many swaps as I can by myself. I swapped batteries on my iPhone 6 and it basically extended the life cycle by 2 years or more.

I recommend buying batteries through eBay or any internet shop as the capacitor cost is about 5 us$ and once you learn you can diy it from that point on.

You will need a super small flat head screwdriver and a piece of sand paper to shave the tip of it to fit the even smaller screws that are standard in watches.

Thanks Lupetto. I’ve been wearing it on and off each week so it hasn’t been there for a year. That said, I’ll take it into the Galleria Kaufhof watch dept here in Berlin (similar to Debenham’s, Macy’s) and see if it’s a simple battery swap. Nice tip about the crown. I’ll be doing that from now on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TB1 don’t have batteries. There is a few threads that speaks on replacements and how it works. If I remember correctly since TB1 use a different power source it is not ideal to pull the crown or something like that.

@kronin323 has a lot of good information.

It’s round looks like a battery and holds electricity. What would you call it? I’m open to your expertise.

If you say so your the expert... it says so on your user name. ;)

I just reread the tb1 guide and it basically says we are both correct. Original part was a capacitor but the replacement parts are lion batteries. I don’t know if that is what they truly are but sounds like they changed from one to the other type of power bank.

But you’re right capacitor isn’t a battery.

Back