• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Chinese knockoffs don't just go after glasses

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
I was in a surplus store today picking up an ammo can for a project, and while browsing around I saw a decent looking laptop bag. It was in a color similar to foliage green, a kind of pale bluish green. I was looking at it for a moment and it hit me - this was an Oakley SI bag!

laptopbag.jpg

There seem to be a few brands of these bags available online, but I'll guarantee they're all made in the same Chinese factory with small changes like a brand logo. It's fairly common in the firearms industry to have multiple brands market very similar items like bags and cases and charge wildly different prices based on how much their brand is "worth" at retail.

I wonder if these are truly copies, or are made along side Oakley bags in the same shop with generic liners swapped for Oakley logos.

They do all lack the nice stainless hardware that Oakley has on their bags, but from a military standpoint slide buckles make a LOT less sound and are easier to open than what Oakley uses to hold their flap shut.

I see these selling from $50 to 100, the price through SI for Oakley's is $90 I think. So no. But I'm not sure how many other factors are at play, and the MSRP for the SI bag is near $200 to the general populace.

Back