• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Chrome Finish Problems?

ericforman

I should Work at Oakley
Idaho
I have heard about problems with the SW blue chrome frogs finish. Do the other chrome frogs have finish issues?

I have heard about problems with the SW blue chrome frogs finish. Do the other chrome frogs have finish issues?
all of Oakleys chrome finishes have a problem. That's why they don't do them anymore. Most fmj did as well.

I have learned what those errors were along the way in doing my own chroming ventures, so naturally, I did as they said in Office Space and "Fixed The Glitch" haha

I also just wanted to add that Silver and Platinum finishes seem to have problems peeling as well. You can take your fingernail and rub off the finish, because they aren't clear coated. Clear 'em and you're good to go.

Clear 'em and you're good to go.
Alright, I have some FMJ Holbrooks coming in that already have a little bit of peeling on the inside of the ear and would like to prevent it from continuing. What kind/brand of clear coat would you recommend?

Alright, I have some FMJ Holbrooks coming in that already have a little bit of peeling on the inside of the ear and would like to prevent it from continuing. What kind/brand of clear coat would you recommend?
Make sure you smooth out the peel so there are no edges sticking up, and you'll be in good shape.
I use automotive clear that requires an activator, as well as respirator and spray booth to apply, so it's not stuff you can mess around with at home. If you have the setup though, I would recommend either DuPont or Nason auto clears (Nason was actually aquired by DuPont a few years back). You really can't go wrong with any product that has the DuPont logo on the can.

If you're spraying at home, I would recommend Alclad clears. I just used some Aqua Gloss Clear (ALC-600) the other day and was pleased with the results.

Last edited: