• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Chrome FMJinx Project

Chrome & Silver paint is a pain in the ARSE to get right as if you dont get the flow of the paint right it will run & it can looked different shades too. Like you are doing build up the coats steady & then the paint won't sag. Keep going Herbsley you'll get it.

Haha. I'm trying!
It's one of those things you can't hurry though, unfortunately. Light coat, then drying time. Then repeat. Etc.

I've just had to strip it right back AGAIN this morning and restart. The chrome is a right pain of a paint. The slightest run or blemish is amplified ten-fold thanks to the reflective nature of the paint.
I'm using more base coat this time to try and get it to hold better. It absolutely HAS to be a smooth finish right round the frame.

Starting to think I fluked the Goldjinx. Haha.

yeah the shiny coats are the hardest. i'll probably look to you for advice if i ever decide to take up this project. ha!

Project update:

First clear lacquer coat now on. Fingers crossed, cos this is some thick ass gloss spray I'm using.
Will post results as soon as they are dry. Early indications are that they will be pretty awesome, but it all hangs on how this new gloss clear dries.

I'll then send my patent application off to register the FMJinx manufacturing process as a Herbsley invention. :smile:

@Batwolf
For this project I have used the following sprays:
Base coat of Tamiya PS Flat Clear.
Metallic coats x 3 of Plasti-Kote Metallic Chrome.
Clear lacquer coats of Plasti-Kote Krystal Clear Gloss.

Is this still model paint that you're using on these?

You will need a plastic suitable paint for the frames so there is some flexibility in the coats other wise when it dries hard it could crack & also chip easier. Like Herdsley is doing slow & steady & build up the coats so you get a uniform colour..................but HURRY UP HERBSLEY as the antisipation is killing us now LOL

@Batwolf
I would hold fire until this current Chrome project is complete to see if this works out.

I'm no expert painter or modeller, and what I haven't mentioned of course in either the GOLDjinx or FMJinx threads is that I will almost certainly never be doing this again.
I've basically spent the last few days worrying that I had just ruined a perfectly good pair of Oakleys, so I'm honestly not sure its worth the stress to paint another pair.

What I really want is a USEABLE pair of FMJ Hijinx. What I might yet still end up with is a pretty display piece.
This might work for a display case kinda dude, but I wear my collection and don't want to waste a single pair.

So really a word of caution, mate. Only crack on with such a radical mod if you are prepared to possibly lose a pair of glasses. I'm not sure I was ready for that possibility, but I may yet have the result I craved. The gloss clear on my test piece of plastic took TWO DAYS to dry smooth. So I'm in for a long wait to see whether I've just blown time and money on this project, or whether I've stumbled upon the right mix of paints. .

I painted a set of jawbone jaws to have a matte finish instead of glossy. It took many tries, the paint would go on ok, I would wait at least 24 hours to spray the matte clear coat on and it would run. The last time it didn't, don't know why, and it wasn't perfect, but I stopped at that point. I can only imagine what the metal paints are doing to you. Good Luck

Back