• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Chrome FMJinx Project

I don't think I'll be brave enough to try a metallic color but definitely something along the lines of green, red, blue and etc.

If only Tamiya made a Gloss Clear PS paint. It would be the end of all Oakley mod problems.
As it stands, the TS Flat Clear simply changes the finish so much to matte that you'll never get the FMJ look that way. We really need a fine particle gloss clear spray paint for polycarb for flexibility.

Yeah. It's for the blood, sweat, and tears shed in the garages of UK researchers who have been slaving over spray paint combinations for the last couple of weeks, trying to perfect the ideal coating. :smile:

There are places that will actually chrome plastic. I am not sure how thick the chrome is and how that would impact the hinges or orbital opening for the lenses. It might be a tight fit after the process is complete.

w
There are places that will actually chrome plastic. I am not sure how thick the chrome is and how that would impact the hinges or orbital opening for the lenses. It might be a tight fit after the process is complete.

being a person in the wonderful field of manufacturing, 1 EXPENSIVE to do a one off part, 2 it would require total breakdown of the hinges and everything and then the getting it back together part would be a bitch in its self, you pay a company to do it for when they chrome it, more expensive but if they **** up its on them, you do it, lots of time and effort, and you **** up, your ****ed more then taking a coat of paint off and retrying

I hear you about the breakdown process. I have sent some of my bike parts (triple trees, swing arm) to be chromed. As far as expense....I am not sure what the going rate would be. I am not sure it is considered a one off as they would not be manufacturing the part, they are just chroming it. If they are chroming a sunglass frame or a license plate frame, I would think the chroming process would be the same, no? When I received quotes for my bike parts it was always depending on the size and detail of the part.

if i could fine a place that would do the chrome process, i wouldn't mind giving it a shot. i think i suffered the same fate as Herbs when i did my gold jupiter. aimed for a finish similar to the supreme 24k, but wound up with a matte finish coz of the clearcoat. still trying to brainstorm a possible solution to the problem. damn.

I hear you about the breakdown process. I have sent some of my bike parts (triple trees, swing arm) to be chromed. As far as expense....I am not sure what the going rate would be. I am not sure it is considered a one off as they would not be manufacturing the part, they are just chroming it. If they are chroming a sunglass frame or a license plate frame, I would think the chroming process would be the same, no? When I received quotes for my bike parts it was always depending on the size and detail of the part.

Bike parts are larger and more common so they already have the setups to dip them in tanks, sunglasses are small and very uncommon so there would be definite markup on for it being one off

if i could fine a place that would do the chrome process, i wouldn't mind giving it a shot. i think i suffered the same fate as Herbs when i did my gold jupiter. aimed for a finish similar to the supreme 24k, but wound up with a matte finish coz of the clearcoat. still trying to brainstorm a possible solution to the problem. damn.

If ya are serious I could ask around, we have a few plating facilities my company works with, but I can tell ya this doubt it'll be cheap

Latest Posts

Back