• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Chrome FMJinx Project

Did it turn out the way you wanted?

BTW do you plan on wearing any of your painted pairs or are they display only pieces?

Did it turn out the way you wanted?

BTW do you plan on wearing any of your painted pairs or are they display only pieces?

The Chrome pair did pretty much work out the way I wanted. It was a right fk on trying to get the lenses back in, but the result does look like an FMJ frame, which is what I wanted.
The clear coat I am using is verrrrry slow to dry completely - actually takes a couple of days to fully harden (as I do not have the benefit of 'sun-baking' to quicken the process!).
But the reason I chose this particular clear coat is that it is a very tough but flexible coating - more so than the Tamiya paint I used for the Goldjinx. This means that the ChromeJinx - whilst essentially made as a display item - can actually be worn if I want to.

I'm happy with the result. But, to paraphrase Mr C Jericho, I am never . . . . . EEEEEEEVER . . . . . painting a frame again.
haha
Too much stress man!

If ya are serious I could ask around, we have a few plating facilities my company works with, but I can tell ya this doubt it'll be cheap

BTW - I'm very keen to hear news from anyone who has actually had their Oakley frames 'chromed' by a bike-workshop / plating company etc.

I'm no expert in this area, but the only issue I can see with this plan is the coating would have to be very VERY thin - otherwise the lenses will not fit back into the recesses in the frame.

If it works - and is not prohibitively expensive - I think this would be an absolutely awesome idea.

Back