• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Chrome FMJinx Project

A weird phenomenon occurred the other day. A gap appeared in the grey skies over the north-east of England, and this strange orange ball of fire could be seen way way way in the distance. The UK Met Office have since confirmed this as a suspected "Sun Sighting", and Sky News have spent the last few days wistfully recalling the last such event in the legendary summer of 1976.

Whilst the neighbourhood children all stopped and pointed upwards, and their parents explained this near-mythical event to them ("But mummy, we are only used to the weather looking like a constant loop of a scene from 'Blade Runner' " etc), I took the opportunity to grab my camera and ChromeJinx and scamper into the garden for some well-lit shots.

Braving the force of the "Sun"s power scorching the earth around me, here are the resulting pics I managed to take before sirens started wailing and we were all warned to take shelter in our homes.

I jest of course. We do have occasional sunshine here.
We even have a Summer.
This year, Summer fell on a Saturday . . . . so I was at home to take these shots . . . .

Chrome FMJinx in twinkly "sun"light . . . .
p1070555j.jpg

p1070554t.jpg

p1070552b.jpg

siick! that's some really nice work!

and that's really cool you found a company that will plate frames with real gold/silver/chrome... definitely would love a pair of real gold plated pair of oakleys.... FMJ oilrigs i think yes! or maybe FMJ eypatch 2's.... oh the possibilities....

This frame was painted, by me, not coated.

Not sure what the situation is with chroming glasses. Nor indeed other coatings like the 'water transfer graphics' thread, etc.

If we had a definitive answer to the eternal question of "how do we make better FMJ versions of our Oakley sunglasses" then we'd either be:
a) screwing Luxottica for patent rights on a new (undoubtedly "Elite") range of sunglass;
b) working for Lux-Oakley (in their Oakley Design Division - assuming there is such a thing any more); or
c) screwing Oakley collectors or other folks on Ebay for $500 a pair, for glasses that cost us $100 plus max $20 for water transfer.

Usual cynical Herbsley rhetoric there . . . . my apologies.

Back