• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Chrome Peeling.....

NATLBNKILR

Oakley Expert
Question to all who have a moment - I have a pair of BMX Jawbone's that have started to peel on the inside of one of the arms... what should put on them to stop it from spreading? I'd like to keep wearing them from time to time, but don't want to completely ruin them. Thoughts?? Thanks in advance for your ideas!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Question to all who have a moment - I have a pair of BMX Jawbone's that have started to peel on the inside of one of the arms... what should put on them to stop it from spreading? I'd like to keep wearing them from time to time, but don't want to completely ruin them. Thoughts?? Thanks in advance for your ideas!!

Honestly, BMX Chrome had this problem. I'd send them in to Oakley and get them replaced, then RARELY wear them.

doubt they will replace them for you though, seeing that it is a limited edition pair. there was another thread abt the Chrome peeling problem..you can check that out as well. =)

I've already contacted Oakley in regards to the issue... jonoyong-you are correct, they don't have them anymore!!!

See my Thread: http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-s...-jawbone-frame-peeling-semi-happy-ending.html

del518 -I've had them for about a year and must confess, I've worn them a lot. I'm one of those collectors that can't let them sit pretty in the case!!! I now have another Jawbone frame (see Thread referenced above), but still would like to swap in these frames every once in a while.

Any other ideas???

I understand some collectors don't wear what they buy...but it is a major problem when Oakley is turning out pairs that CAN'T be worn regularly.I am down to 70 pair and wear every one...this would really make upset...like a new TV that looks great on the outside but isn't cable compatible so is just furniture...I hope those Fast Jackets with chrome don't make it out in present state because to me it makes Oakley look foolish My Black Chrome Splices a few years ago peeled after 3 or 4 wears and all I did was drive around and to and from work basically...Oakley has got to get a handle on this.

Piper - I couldn't have said it any better myself... It's funny you brought up the Chrome Fast Jackets. I actually Pre-Ordered them from Oakley.com a month before they were to be released. Needless to say, I really like the Chrome look. As you know, they were never released... I was extremely UNHAPPY that Oakley would start selling something that hadn't passed inspection. Decided to get my money back a month after they were supposed to be released and picked up the Black Plaid/G30 Pol set. That being said, you are exactly correct, they need to get a handle on these issues... seems to me its both a manufacturing & corporate issues that need to addressed.

From what i have read on this forum it appears that it is a bonding problem between the chrome coating & the plastic frames with the FMJ's & BMX. Bonding is only a problem if the surface is not prepared correctly. There are plenty of other products in the world that are made of plastic with chrome coatings & they do not have an issue with the bonding process. One way of possibly stopping it lifting any more would be to apply a sealer coat. You could try a nail varnish clearcoat to the area, that way it would stop any sweat or fluid getting under that coating. It would be interesting to hear what the official reason for it from Oakley is.

Back