• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Chroming Frames?

Man! You really know your stuff! Hat's off to you. I used to have a motorcycle that I experimented with "chroming out" different parts. The paints are CRAP and the only real way is to have them chromed. I'll never use chrome paint again because it may look good for a short period of time but always ends up looking like $*&^ in the end.

Already been done. Both processes. Chrome paint is crap! Very expensive, never very good for results, and a waste of time. Liquid Chrome, aka silver nitrate (alsa and spectrachrome) both only work proper when you have their full system. Alsa does offer a small "hand pump" type system, and again, already tried it. $350 would do maybe 4 pair if you are lucky, but more so, you have to be extremely lucky to get it to work. The chemicals are high in ammonia and destroy the sprayers it comes with... Besides, their customer service is the worst in the industry.

Vacuum Metalizing aka chrome plastic, is how Oakley does it along with hundreds of other companies. It is the same stuff you find on your local Walmart spray can chrome lid, but not the actual silver goo in the can, the same stuff in your headlight reflectors, and the very same stuff I have done. Now, problem is, it is retarded expensive to do and hard to find a place that is remotely consistent. I have paid upwards of $175 per frame, and sometimes a bit less. I have also lost $18,000.00 worth of frames due to the processor being terrible! Yes, that was 18k! It is great, but tough. Plus, you still have to process it even more once the chroming has been done. Model parts aren't top coated to handle day to day wear and tear from your skin. Think it matters? Think again. Your skins oils contain some pretty radical stuff that devours coatings. Why do you think Oakley has failed at every attempt of chrome shades? They didn't get it right. The chrome is brittle and cracks easily, once it does, it will flake. You want to take a stab at it, Be my guest. Not easy, not cost effective, and sometimes not worth the time.

Man! You really know your stuff! Hat's off to you. I used to have a motorcycle that I experimented with "chroming out" different parts. The paints are CRAP and the only real way is to have them chromed. I'll never use chrome paint again because it may look good for a short period of time but always ends up looking like $*&^ in the end.
let's just say I have spent a TON of money figuring it out. Also lost $1000 (just shy of) to a bad processor that swiped my money they refunded me back from my paypal account and paypal wouldn't do a damn thing even though I have the credit memo invoice they MAILED me, and I still lost it and the account. So all in all, it cost upwards of 20k or so to figure it all out

Latest Posts

Back