• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cleaning Gen 1 Titanium

Mike.vanderkoon

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Arkansas the boonies
I have a titanium gen 1 heading my way so I don’t have the frame yet. It’s been sitting in its box for 10+ years and yes of course it’s been bathing in it’s detierated foam.

I’ve seen some threads on how you can’t clean off corrosion to the finish. But given this is not corrosion what is the best way to clean up the frame to get the foam off without damaging the finish? I talked to one OF member a few months back in a difernet thread about cleaning gen 1 plasma/titanium and he likes to use dawn dishsoap and hot water. Do others agree with this or have other cleaning tips to get the foam off without f***ing up the finish? I’m assuming alcohol pads are to rough for this finish.

I’ll update pics when I get the frame which should be tomorrow or Friday.

thanks in advance :drinks:
49C59D58-6AEF-4CEC-A5E9-0E3553293DC2.jpeg
EB3954F0-B980-42D0-AE8E-144B52BCABAA.jpeg
9D21FE17-6233-4C04-B9E8-593BB82A7545.jpeg
D3DE04C4-BF9E-4D7B-A887-8DCC61712F4B.jpeg

Foam should come right off with soap and water honestly. Just depends on how gooey it got. Most of the time when the foam hits that point it's dried out to the point of being like a powder and might wipe right off under water. Take the lenses out and run it through the dishwasher if all else fails. Goo gone is great for everything, just be sure to rinse and wash all of it off afterwards.

Only thing I'd be concerned with is if the foam stained the finish. Doesn't happen often. But if it was humid enough to make it wet for a very long period of time it could transfer the black of the foam onto the finish.