• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cleaning/Maintaining X-Metals

I use "chemical guys" micro fiber wash. They don't use the harsh chemicals that ruin, harden and destroy microfiber material. I use that stuff for all my towels I use to detail my vehicles. It's about 10 bucks a bottle and you only need a capful so it should last quite a while. That product comes highly recommended.

Good stuff to know. I never really was sure about what to use to care for the MF bag.

Hi everyone!

As I'm looking at expanding my Oakley collection (fan since forever, but only now able to actually afford what I want) I'm wondering how do you all clean/maintain your X-Metals? And not just the lenses, but the frame and rubbers as well :)

Warm water, cold water, any soap? Also, does that affect Iridium coated lenses in any way?

Lastly, do you guys use the Oakley Lens Cleaner on the frame/rubbers aside from just the lenses, or is that a big no-no?

Thanks in advance!
sorry for the piggyback but not sure how all this works..... I have a pair of ruby iridium lenses with faint scratches.... any way to fix them?? thanks

sorry for the piggyback but not sure how all this works..... I have a pair of ruby iridium lenses with faint scratches.... any way to fix them?? thanks
No, you can not repair scratches. The surface scratches are in the Iridium coating. It is super thin and can not be replaced/repaired. As long as the scratches are just on the surface and not interfering with your vision I'd say chalk it up to experience and start cleaning your lenses with a soft microfiber cleaning cloth and the Oakley cleaning solution. They sell a combo cleaning cloth with lens cleaning solution for like $10 and my Oakley vault here in Detroit refills the cleaning solution for free. I would not recommend cleaning your lenses with the microfiber bag you carry the glasses in. It picks up a lot of dirt and debris which can scratch your lenses. I clean my glasses by using a dedicated cleaning cloth to remove surface dirt/debris first then I use the cleaning solution to gently clean smudges off the lenses. Hope that helps, that's just my 2 cents! Welcome to the forum :)

No, you can not repair scratches. The surface scratches are in the Iridium coating. It is super thin and can not be replaced/repaired. As long as the scratches are just on the surface and not interfering with your vision I'd say chalk it up to experience and start cleaning your lenses with a soft microfiber cleaning cloth and the Oakley cleaning solution. They sell a combo cleaning cloth with lens cleaning solution for like $10 and my Oakley vault here in Detroit refills the cleaning solution for free. I would not recommend cleaning your lenses with the microfiber bag you carry the glasses in. It picks up a lot of dirt and debris which can scratch your lenses. I clean my glasses by using a dedicated cleaning cloth to remove surface dirt/debris first then I use the cleaning solution to gently clean smudges off the lenses. Hope that helps, that's just my 2 cents! Welcome to the forum :)

I know this is an old thread, but I read it and found it super helpful. Just wanted to add that I never clean with the outside of the MF bag that I store the glasses in as it collects dust as others have noted. But I DO turn it inside out for cleaning as dust doesn't generally get inside! I've found this to be convenient, and eliminates the risk of the dust on the outside becoming abrasive.

I know this is an old thread, but I read it and found it super helpful. Just wanted to add that I never clean with the outside of the MF bag that I store the glasses in as it collects dust as others have noted. But I DO turn it inside out for cleaning as dust doesn't generally get inside! I've found this to be convenient, and eliminates the risk of the dust on the outside becoming abrasive.

Dirt and dust can still get into the bag as it's not seal or dust proof. I would say it's not as dirty as the outside but I would still was your bags periodically to avoid contaminants. You could always purchase an extra or use a different bag for cleaning.

Latest Posts

Back