• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cleaning Oakley goggle lenses

Maciej

Oakley Beginner
Hi all,

I know i might be repeating some other threads, but i could not find any proper guide about how to clean the goggle lenses - I found plenty on the sunglasses, but not the goggles. Does thesame scheme apply i.e. use the bag to wipe out the outside of the lens witha bit of water and mild soap? Also, what about the inside of the lens (i heard water should not be used...).

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated (I only got my airbrakes today, so total newbie)

I just have always used my breath and the microfiber bag. Also, if you fall and get snow on the inside of the goggle, do not wipe the lens, as the snow crystals can scratch the lens, just shack out as much snow as you can, and then put it back on and the heat from your face will melt the snow.

Best thing for the outside is the Oakley cleaning kit. And it's refillable! Never touch the inside if there is moisture. I Usually wait till the end of the day and wipe the inside of the lens very gently with a dry microbag. Others wise the anti fog treatment applied to the lens can come off and ruin your lens.

I got fingerprints all over the inside and outside of the Line Miner lenses when I changed them for the first time. I have a question and 2 suggestions: being a kind of sloppy person, I expect to mess the insides of these lenses, so has ANYONE figured out how to clean out fingerprints, spilled soda, cheeseburger grease and such?

Also, Oakley, if you're listening, I suggest a] a tougher version of the anti-fog treatment you've developed (maybe bake it on or something); and 2] how about a pair of gloves made from the same material as the lens microfiber bag to use to safely change lenses? I'd buy them. I need them.

(Mmmm...cheeseburger!)

I got fingerprints all over the inside and outside of the Line Miner lenses when I changed them for the first time. I have a question and 2 suggestions: being a kind of sloppy person, I expect to mess the insides of these lenses, so has ANYONE figured out how to clean out fingerprints, spilled soda, cheeseburger grease and such?

Also, Oakley, if you're listening, I suggest a] a tougher version of the anti-fog treatment you've developed (maybe bake it on or something); and 2] how about a pair of gloves made from the same material as the lens microfiber bag to use to safely change lenses? I'd buy them. I need them.

(Mmmm...cheeseburger!)

You can dab, not rub, on the spots. You can also rinse them with running water, but if they are really grubby you might be f**ked. I let someone borrow a pair of Canopys and the lenses were full of stains afterwards. Luke warm water and some light dabbing with a microfiber bag made them almost as good as new again..

I was skiing at Mt. Bachelor, Oregon and ran into the resident evil of that place ... Rime Ice ( freezing fog ). It instantly forms a layer of ice on whatever it touches. Not much of an issue on the outside of your goggles ( everyone who skis Bachelor, ends up buying a thumb squeegee, which are sold everywhere for a reason ), but a MAJOR problem on the inside of your lens.

I’ve never had a goggle freeze on the inside in all my years of being on the hill. It was around 5 degrees and there was no way to see, you couldn’t bear to go without something over your eyes, so I did what anyone else in that situation would have mistakenly and knowingly done ... attempted to clear the inside of the lens and in so doing, completely and utterly messed up my beloved Splice goggle.

As my buddy @NoFair has mentioned, gently dab, otherwise, you’re in for at least a new lense, if not a new pair.

I was skiing at Mt. Bachelor, Oregon and ran into the resident evil of that place ... Rime Ice ( freezing fog ). It instantly forms a layer of ice on whatever it touches. Not much of an issue on the outside of your goggles ( everyone who skis Bachelor, ends up buying a thumb squeegee, which are sold everywhere for a reason ), but a MAJOR problem on the inside of your lens.

I’ve never had a goggle freeze on the inside in all my years of being on the hill. It was around 5 degrees and there was no way to see, you couldn’t bear to go without something over your eyes, so I did what anyone else in that situation would have mistakenly and knowingly done ... attempted to clear the inside of the lens and in so doing, completely and utterly messed up my beloved Splice goggle.

As my buddy @NoFair has mentioned, gently dab, otherwise, you’re in for at least a new lense, if not a new pair.

I've had super cooled rain freeze on my goggles, but never had a big problem with ice on the inside. I usually have a spare pair or two in the car anyway so I just swap if it is too bad. In places like Mt Bachelor the inferno goggles might be the best :cool-20: Most common way to destroy the coating is wiping out ice/snow from the inside of the goggles after crashing..

I've had super cooled rain freeze on my goggles, but never had a big problem with ice on the inside. I usually have a spare pair or two in the car atimes.. so I just swap if it is too bad. In places like Mt Bachelor the inferno goggles might be the best :cool-20: Most common way to destroy the coating is wiping out ice/snow from the inside of the goggles after crashing..

If I ever go there again, believe me, there will be another set of goggles with me at all times.

If you ever get the chance to go to Bachelor, make the trip. Dormant volcano, one of the only places you can ski 360 degrees from the top.

20140205_083731.JPG

And nearby Bend, Oregon has over 30 Microbreweries !!! :D

If I ever go there again, believe me, there will be another set of goggles with me at all times.

If you ever get the chance to go to Bachelor, make the trip. Dormant volcano, one of the only places you can ski 360 degrees from the top.

View attachment 427395

And nearby Bend, Oregon has over 30 Microbreweries !!! :D

I should take a month off work and damage both knees and liver ;)

Back