1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. SMman

SMman Oakley Collector

I noticed that the earsocks on my bone plasma Juliet were sticky so I tried cleaning them and then noticed that they had little splits in the middle. I removed them and discovered the finish underneath has some residue and discoloration from the socks.

I tried cleaning with hot water and soap and then tried a little Goo Gone but no luck getting them much better. The rest of the frame looks good.

Anyone have tips on how to get rid of the black spots? Sorry if this has been covered. I tried a search before posting but didn't find anything. Thanks for any help.

Cheers :drinks:

Cleaning Old Earsock Residue on Bone Plasma? - bone5.jpg Cleaning Old Earsock Residue on Bone Plasma? - bone4.jpg Cleaning Old Earsock Residue on Bone Plasma? - bone3.jpg Cleaning Old Earsock Residue on Bone Plasma? - bone2.jpg Cleaning Old Earsock Residue on Bone Plasma? - bone.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. joecool862

joecool862 Keeper of the Skull Premium Member Lifetime Member

I've noticed the same thing on numerous frames, since it is under the new rubber I put on I ignore it. I don't think that it can be cleaned. I think it has become a defect in the finish. Maybe others have had better luck...

3. SMman

SMman Oakley Collector

That's what I was planning to do but I figured I would ask on here before installing the new earsocks. I want to ignore it but now I know its there :(

joecool862 likes this.
  4. BHarry

BHarry The Eclectic Collector

5. SMman

SMman Oakley Collector

Thank you. I do have lots of car/motorcycle cleaning and polishing products. My only concern is putting a shine on the bone plasma finish. I will take a look through my product shelf tomorrow and decide if I want to give it a go or ignore it and install the new earsocks.

joecool862 likes this.
  6. cacatman

cacatman Oakley Expert Premium Member

Let us know how you go!

7. joecool862

joecool862 Keeper of the Skull Premium Member Lifetime Member

I mean it isn't like I don't have confidence you can get the discoloration off, it's what will the frame look like after you're done, haha. That bone plasma finish is damn near impossible to clean once it has discolored. Zach does a wonderful bone plasma finish if you ever want them looking like brand spankin' new.

8. SiRacer420

SiRacer420 I've got a few Oakleys Premium Member Lifetime Member

Warm soapy water and a magic eraser has fixed that problem for me on several first gen bone frames. Just be careful, if you rub too much it'll take off the dull finish and get glossy.

9. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

@jdd32 may have a suggestion?

10. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

First gen plasma corrodes, if you try to remove it you're actually just removing the plasma finish.

joecool862 likes this.