• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cleaning Old Earsock Residue on Bone Plasma?

First gen plasma corrodes, if you try to remove it you're actually just removing the plasma finish.

That's absolutely correct. Any abrasive such as polishing agents or scouring pads are actually stripping away the coating. There are chemicals that can strip microns of the coating, which is just enough to remove the tarnish or light corrosion but the stuff I use aren't available off the shelf. Oh and be warned... some chemicals actually cause more corrosion!

if you love that sparkling silver, clean crisp G1 plasma without the hassle of corrosion, you're better off refinishing it to one of my permanent G1 finishes... all the bling and never chip nor corrode.

20170216_083857.jpg
20170216_083937.jpg

Looks great. Thank you for the reply. I haven't touched them yet with any cleaners besides soap and goo gone. I think I will just leave as is and install the new earsocks which cover the marks. To me, it looks like parts of the earsocks just stayed on the frame when they broke down so I was hoping I could remove the marks. You can't see them so might as well put on new socks and carry on :cool:

I tried some Meguiars metal polish on a tiny spot where the earsocks left marks. I just used a little dab and rubbed lightly but it was turning the metal black. I went to town with hot water and soap and scrubbed arms between my fingers vigorously and ended up removing most of the discoloration. I should have taken a picture before installing the new earsocks.