• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Clear frames with hairline cracks

Johnefriendly

Oakley Beginner
I just bought a pair of Oakley Centerboard RX polished clear frames with prescription lenses. I just noticed tiny hairline cracks in the frames around the lenses near the nose bridge. They don't go all the way through the frame but I'm afraid they will grow. I had this happen on a non Oakley pair and in time one crack split all the way through. My guess is the lens was too big and expanded the frame too much. Has anyone seen cracks in clear frames before? I'm hoping it's normal on clear frames.

Hi,

I work in a shop and I often see this on clear or smoke frames, despite the glasses having been cut the right size.
I also have three Latch in matte clear with these cracks and wear them since 3-4 years with no issues.
I never had a customer frame that snapped due to these small cracks.
So, as long as the glasses are the right size, there aren't anything to worry about.

I just bought a pair of Oakley Centerboard RX polished clear frames with prescription lenses. I just noticed tiny hairline cracks in the frames around the lenses near the nose bridge. They don't go all the way through the frame but I'm afraid they will grow. I had this happen on a non Oakley pair and in time one crack split all the way through. My guess is the lens was too big and expanded the frame too much. Has anyone seen cracks in clear frames before? I'm hoping it's normal on clear frames.
I would return the frame and lenses.
You would never tolerate a scratched fender on your new Car even it will not have any effect on the performance.
If your frame brakes you could be without your glasses for days or weeks until they have new lenses cut and a frame orders.

What did you end up doing? Did they replace the frames?

Back