• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Collecting Oakley - What Gets Your Goat ?

Oakley UK

Oakley Enthusiast
England
The phrase's origin is that goats were placed with racehorses to keep them calm. When ne'er-do-wells who wanted the horse to race badly removed it, that is, they 'got someone's goat', the horse became unsettled and ran badly.

So I am calling this the Saturday Night Moan/Roast a chance to get everything that annoys you about collecting Oakley off your chest -what else would you do on Saturday night with a glass of something in your hand !

Be polite and no direct name using or finger pointing, this is more about behavioural observation and trends rather than singling out individuals and above all try to make it humorous.

Over to you Ladies and Gentleman the floor is yours......

66E892E8-5D53-4A14-8386-DABA5504B1AA.jpeg

Ok I will start - Oakley stuff for sale on the Bay , if a seller is going to ask $350 bucks for a pair of glasses they should at least try and get the name right . They are asking big money but don't want to do the research as to why it is worth that price - doomed to failure.

The use of the term vintage , I could go on for hours about this one , but why do sellers constantly use the term to describe glasses that were massed produced less than 8 years ago by an Italian tractor company who has a factory in China.

The use of rare - well most of the time they aren't, if they did a search of the Bay they would see 5 others for sale probably all cheaper and if they looked at the sold section they would find another 8.

Most of the behaviour you describe is purely that of "flippers" As you allude to, They can't even get the model name right. That can occasionally work for you as i for example picked up a XX Ti02 that was incorrectly listed as a Juliet. I didn't exactly "Nick" the item concerned but I got it at a reasonable price.
Like anything people are quick to "jump on the bandwagon" and with the likes of ebay they see something listed at an unrealistic price & automatically think that theirs is worth the same even though they would be better served checking the completed listings section.
There are plenty on here who have built a tidy collection by Flipping, It's a fact of life that when someone can turn an easy buck, The undesirable side of the Human Pysche "comes to the fore" as it were.

As someone who was buying XM when they came to market and then became insular to Oakley when Lux took over and has then only started to collect again in late 2019, I have felt the force of this "Phenomenon" probably more than most. From an unfortunate turn of fate, I am Lucky to be able to still afford most things I want where O is concerned, Although I do have a limit and if I sense blatant racketeering is going on, Then I will move along and apply patience. I have 99% of what I want, I am not one for collecting pieces I have no intention of wearing.

People who lowball my stuff really get my goat, especially those who will automatically lowball anything by 20%, and then get indignant when I say no. I spend a lot of time educating myself about the item and fair market value and my prices reflect that. I get my prices correct the first time I list, and if I ever have to lower my prices, then it means a made a mistake. I don't price things artificially high in hopes of settling for 80% of the listed price.

People who lowball my stuff really get my goat, especially those who will automatically lowball anything by 20%, and then get indignant when I say no. I spend a lot of time educating myself about the item and fair market value and my prices reflect that. I get my prices correct the first time I list, and if I ever have to lower my prices, then it means a made a mistake. I don't price things artificially high in hopes of settling for 80% of the listed price.
I agree, places like OfferUp, you have to add to the price because you get so many people immediately wanting 40% off your asking price. Sorry but IMO, any offer lower than 20% is a lowball, not an offer, and I ignore it. Then you get those same people acting like they are entitled to a really low price.

-Also, I’ll add people who keep raising the price. Do your research before posting it for sale.

Ah yes lamination or delamination in this case and a terrible example of it yuck ! Good one but I guess that is why we love Oakley and in particular Vintage Oakley (prior to 2007) because they dreamed big and did it no matter what the cost (I guess they made all the decisions on a Friday after the pub !) but they did not always get it right (their product testing department must have always been down the pub !) . Examples of this are of course Gen 1 M Frames cracking up , Romeo 1 lenses stressing and cracking hence R2 and of course delamination. For ages I thought it was me -acid skin/too much salt sweat , sun tan cream (who ever thought sunglasses and suntan cream would be used together !) sunlight and wind. Sadly I have to report it is none of those , a while back I bought some red 0.4 Zero squared from Germany, 2 sets in fact (those were the days !) Still in their cardboard boxes brand new never been out of them and guess what - yes slight delamination on the lenses so everyone stop blaming yourselves this was another inbuilt Oakley flaw. Happening on my minute 2s at the moment but I don't know if the newer lenses have been fixed.

You can have my goat, I ll fix you some he's delicious,
Nothing I like collecting things because of the hunt and when you put them on you have the memories good or bad what would suck for me is not having a hunt to be able to one click ugh no

Latest Posts

Back