• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Collecting style/method?

I can understand that perspective for display purposes. Plus, some people may just like boxes 🤷‍♂️
Some releases came with an artwork specific box to match the pair and the microfiber bag and it could be understood that collectors would prefer to have the complete set. The other side of it is that collectors would like to have the pair complete with all it was originally sold with. Over the years, people have lost the packaging or tossed them out, so to have the complete set, makes a collectible pair that much more unique if you can get it with everything (box included) as it was released 20+ years ago. I know, I prefer to buy a complete set for my collection.

Some releases came with an artwork specific box to match the pair and the microfiber bag and it could be understood that collectors would prefer to have the complete set. The other side of it is that collectors would like to have the pair complete with all it was originally sold with. Over the years, people have lost the packaging or tossed them out, so to have the complete set, makes a collectible pair that much more unique if you can get it with everything (box included) as it was released 20+ years ago. I know, I prefer to buy a complete set for my collection.
The artistry releases, limited editions, stuff like that, I fully understand. The regular mass production stuff, I don't get needing a box for that. That being said, I have every box that I've ever acquired stashed safely away. Only ones I have displayed are the mars jordan, a Ferrari one with the red Ferrari case, SB LIV box from the SB 49ers Holbrook, and a juliet and xs box to display the coins.

I only like 3 kinds of XMetals - Juliet, XX and XS

I'm proud of my small XMetal collection, but I've been sitting at 12 for a couple of years because I'm losing interest...

Could probably have 50 or more, but glasses are not a passion of mine, just a thing I fell into for a little bit...I mean, they're just glasses...

...I use my Holbrooks and Frogs to ride my motorcycle, but those are just meh...

Last edited:
I might come from a different cloth here, but I actually buy rare/limited edition pairs for investment.
While I love to wear my Oakley's, I mainly got into the hobby as a tangible investment for my portfolio (Gold/Silver I find manipulated by banks and boring). With the madness of today's financial system, I scoured the earth to find collectibles that grew/held their value over time outside of stocks/bonds/commodities etc. Early edition/limited Oakley products (x-Metal, Medusa, etc) had the volume in sales, and continual value growth I was looking for. Probably one of the few people that collects on here moreso for investment (although flashing a pair of 24K Juliet's is fun). The more we add to our collections, the rarer they will become, goal is to have ~100 X-Metals at some point in the future.

Excellent thread. I keep a few frames in mind and check o-review for colorways. From there, I narrow down what I like, and which ones I would truly be happy with vs what would only be a temporary placeholder. Then I begin my search.

Not that I really collected, but I beleive I'm past whatever peak I had. What I wanted was also what worked best for me.

I remember getting my first Oakley, wanting multiple colors, did that, and realized I just don't wear them all. Either I don't want to mess up the frames or lenses, or from a practical standpoint, I didn't need them. This also goes for collector items and some older pairs I would've wanted to try.

I see eyewear not as a disposable product, but a disposable system. I rely a lot on Unobtainium contact points and AF pads. I'd want to be able to have them in conveneint reach without markup to bottom line have my eyewear continue to function. I'd rather invest into continuity of a working design than build a collection.

Interestingly with newer pairs, I have yet to need new rubbers, vs when I was using a Radarlock and Jawbone, and needed rubbers like every other month. That bonded approach found on the recent "Jacket" models and Jawbreaker has kept me fine for years now with no need for replacement So now something like that is a baseline for me.

I think I've been kinda going a similar route to Rustpot (is he still around?), and how he became very concentrated on M-Frames, and to the extent to the ones that matter most to him. I've kinda centered myself on Jawbreakers, but my favorite colors/editions never get worn, and just stick to my matte black pair. I can abuse and lose that pair without issue vs. the rest.

Been a bit of progression to singularity, I guess. I've noticed I've been wanting that more in life. Spent end of last year contemplating another car, and now I'm in a similar secnario: I've got a good system around mine — one of the most reputable shops, a heavy supply for OEM parts due to keeping the car in production too long (lol), and it's not too much of a rocket science to keep together compared to newer cars. I definitely lust over other cars on my previous list, but it's just much more to lose imo.

Good thread this.
I go after very specific Os and thereafter go after every released and unreleased colorway in that model.
I tend to set myself a budget and never have I gone beyond.
It's a hobby after all that I enjoy where patience is a virtue.

Latest Posts

Back