• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Comparing Ruby X-Squared To First Generation XM Ruby Penny

Dantes

I should Work at Oakley
Sweden
These are my latest two purchases, the first generation XM serial Ruby Penny and the Ruby X-squared. I thought it would be interesting to compare the lens hues for reference, and as evident by the pics below, there is a pretty big difference.

14860403072_3b17896c42_o.jpg

14673982760_c84fe8bb0a_o.jpg

14837676546_542c6ac370_o.jpg

14837676646_8bbbe95325_o.jpg

Substantial difference. The XS are closer to within the spectrum of Fire. The Penny lenses you have are the way it should be, amazing.

I have a pair of Ruby Iridium's in my Half X's that are identical to your Penny's.

Side note, I really hate the Half X. Ugh

I bought a pair of replacement Juliet ruby lenses about a month ago direct from Oakley U.K. (as I knew stocks were getting low) and I swear when I opened them up, I almost thought they'd sent me fire by mistake. I know the hue has changed drastically over the years to do with the layers of coating they now apply (or don't apply) but Jesus, they're so far away now from 1st gen it's almost a joke!

I bought a pair of replacement Juliet ruby lenses about a month ago direct from Oakley U.K. (as I knew stocks were getting low) and I swear when I opened them up, I almost thought they'd sent me fire by mistake. I know the hue has changed drastically over the years to do with the layers of coating they now apply (or don't apply) but Jesus, they're so far away now from 1st gen it's almost a joke!
Varies a lot from batch to batch, as well as over time. I had a pair from Oakley UK at the start of the year that were beautifully red, at least on a par with Ferrari collection rubies that people have praised for their colour.

Equally I have fires that look like 24k, with no hint of oranges or reds at all. Just that much variability in the process. Though if they are nailing Ferrari lenses, you'd hope the other rubies would get better too. Or perhaps all the reddest lens blanks get set aside for Ferraris...

My Half X's with lenses made in 2009. I had a 2nd pair I scooped off the vault and they were similar to your XS, made in 2011.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 291
Agreed, there are definitely batch variations...always have been.
But honestly you should see these, they should never have got past "quality control".
Oooooohh Luxottica, you have a lot to answer for....

Agreed, there are definitely batch variations...always have been.
But honestly you should see these, they should never have got past "quality control".
Oooooohh Luxottica, you have a lot to answer for....
Not sure you can blame them, they haven't all been consistently ruby red for a few years.

No, I know, you're right....afraid I just don't have much love for Lux.
Don't know about anyone else but it just never felt like the same company after the take over.
Lost a lot of good personal contacts that I had at Oakley U.K. when they made the first wave of redundancies.

That's our fruby. Welcome btw Veteran!
(that sounds odd lol)

No, I know, you're right....afraid I just don't have much love for Lux.
Don't know about anyone else but it just never felt like the same company after the take over.
Lost a lot of good personal contacts that I had at Oakley U.K. when they made the first wave of redundancies.
It's certainly not the customer service these days is not as good, some on the phone will help you out, look for items, some don't want to know (like any work place I suppose). I managed to buy a pair of racing jacket fathoms, when I got them they had one of each lens missing (should of been blk and a clear in there) I contacted Oak UK who sent me a link to the website to buy more, as if I couldn't somehow of figured it out!

Back