• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

concept of switching to collecting O matter due to economic reasons :)

Hitech Vojtech

I should Work at Oakley
Shanghai,China
Just realizing, I am spending way too much on x metals,even if i try to stop its pulling me back in to get more pieces :)
I am on 10pairs of juliet,4 R1's,4 Penny,2x XS...and more coming...
Actually I'm thinking switching to collecting o Matters(Flaks,Flak 2.0 ,Radars,EV's,)-since many pairs you can get around 80-100$,
comparing to X metals that usually cost around 500$ in average for interesting pieces...
anyone tried this way to cut his expenses instead of quitting collecting for good and still keep his passion for Oakley?

True sir,
I was just thinking instead of quit collecting oakleys,continue with Oakleys that I also love-sports frames and ddoest cost me fortune :) just keep Metals I am going to wear and focus on sport frames

david had a good approach to his xmetal collection. by distilling his pairs and selling/trading up, he was able to manage his cost and have a stellar collection at the same time.

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/rounding-out-my-permanent-collection.38837/

also in switching to omatters, in regards to cost, that doesnt make sense because if you started two collections with $1000 2 years ago and bought xmetals, you could very well have a collection worth $2000 today or more depending on how active you are at selling and trading. (with some patience you could have picked up 4 XS two years ago for $1k) but say you bought 8 flak jackets at the same time, do you think you could value 8 flak jackets @ $2000 total? would you expect someone to pay $250 for a used flak jacket today?

but then again who am I to say what you should collect...(I have a lot of sport-specific pairs that I would love to trade for your collection) :cool-33:

True I agree,well the my thought were more like stop with X metal that I have-as it is and any other new oakleys that I am going to get will be most likely sport frames like Flak 2.0 ,Radar ...etc that I am not going to bleed out too much financially

lol its not that bad :D Thanks Frank for your post,but I am fine,its just I will probably later start to invest money into something else like my own property or some business than buying more X metals and probably collecting O matter frames will not hurt so much financially and I will keep still my love for Oakley :)

I would just slow down for a while pal and take stock of what you have. If you don't enjoy what you have already collected it all becomes about 'the next pair'. If there's anything you feel you're not particularly keen on or won't wear etc, maybe move it on or trade with it. I'd say this happens to a lot of collectors in their early days, so you need to take the time to think it through before you do something you may regret, not just from a financial position, as dragonvoi has pointed out regarding future values, but from a personal perspective.

Find a frame type that you would always love to see in your collection bro... If you love xmetals then save up for them. Like what frank said just take a break, save up and buy more of those frames you love. I had one streak before like you when i started buying random o matter frames becuase they were cheaper... Later i ended up selling them because i would like to have more bosses or metals. So just hang in there and continue collecting the pairs you really want...

Back