• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Considering X-Metals - Not Sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

us_Sheikh

Oakley Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I have recently been reading up on some posts and came across a sneak peak for a couple of very cool xmetal designs. I just want to ask if anyone has any idea if they're due anytime soon, perhaps later this year? I won't mind waiting for a while to own an XMetal, better a new one than the old design. I'm sure retail prices would be crazy but it may give me enough time to collect the money. I was basically just considering purchasing either the X-Metal Penny with Ruby Iridium Lenses or the X-Metal XX with black iridium lenses. So if Oakley doesn't have any plans to release the X-Metals anytime soon, I may just go in with these, if they do, then I might just wait.

X-metals were made in their own factory in Nevada. It was shut down for good in 2012 and they're never coming back. If that "sneak peak" you saw is what I think it is, it's a conceptual drawing one of the members here has of a couple of designs that were never made.

That said, by all means, grab yourself an x-metal - there's nothing else out there like them. I suggest considering a Juliet to start - they were the most popular design for a reason, and since there's more of them out there than any other design, they'll be the most affordable (you could probably get a half-X for cheaper but that's because the earstem hinges breaks on them pretty frequently; they're not as desirable).

If you want the best of a current product line, go for a carbon blade.

Last edited:
X-metals were made in their own factory in Nevada. It was shut down for good in 2012 and they're never coming back. If that "sneak peak" you saw is what I think it is, it's a conceptual drawing one of the members here has of a couple of designs that was never made.

That said, by all means, grab yourself an x-metal - there's nothing else out there like them. I suggest considering a Juliet to start - they were the most popular design for a reason, and since there's more of them out there than any other design, they'll be the most affordable (you could probably get a half-X for cheaper but that's because the earstem hinges breaks on them pretty frequently; they're not as desirable).

If you want the best of a current product line, go for a carbon blade.
Agree. Just watch out - it's impossible to own only one X-Metal!

Like Kronin says, try a reasonably priced Juliet to start with. If you like it, you can branch out into a BNIB example or other X-metal models and if you don't, well there's a ready and willing market out there for them.

Wow, I never knew this has certainly been extremely helful information guys. However I would now be considering my first x-metals but for some reason just dont believe that the juliets would suit me. I am caught between three pairs at the moment and only onw can make it through to me.

I am considering the following (Priority Wise):

1. X-Metal XX with black iridium lenses.
2. X-Metal Penny with Ruby iridium
3. X-Metal X-Squared Ruby Iridium

So here are my choices and I pray I get a reasonable price on them as I maybe able to put in a maximumno of $250. :(:( I know its very less but thats all I have now.

No man could only own one Xmetal :)

If you feel that Juliets won't fit you, so does the Penny. Juliets are like the most basic among metals.. I think it almost looks good on anybody.

For $250 with the pairs you want, it will be harder to get . Its doable though. But expect to pay around 300-400 depending on condition. Watch Ebay auctions as well.

Did the Pit Bosses fit you well?

If so, you're probably better off with the larger frame X-Metals, like the XX or Romeo.

IMO, the X-Squared fit narrow heads well.

FWIW, PB1s just barely fit me (they are almost too big); XS fit me perfectly, XX fit a tiny bit large; Juliets & Pennys do not cover my vertical FOV well, they're like watching life filmed in a 16x9 frame on a 4x3 screen.

No praying needed for a low price. Just save your $ and get the ones you want. I'd estimate you'll need $350+.

Status
Not open for further replies.