• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Copper Penny Cleaning

Drink beer, it's made with wheat, hops and barley, contains excellent nutrients! Not into grains???? Have wine then, it is made with grapes and special fruits!!!!!!

So no one ever came up with an answer to this thread so I thought I would ask again. Any way to make the Copper Penny shine again without damaging it?
Thanks

Well, since no one step up to make a recommendation......i'll make suggestion......and this is what i use for my polished frames and plasma frames to remove tarnish and oxidation....use a little at a a time in a small area. don't rub too hard either; 100% cotton cloth works the best. Since copper is a thin metal coating, it should work and protect the metal. This is a polishing compound, be gentle otherwise it will thin out too much to expose bare metal. PS.....not advertising for the company, but that's what i had in the garage. Eagle One also has a nano compound chrome polish, i bet it will work as well.
B0GQqgg.jpg

Some of this stuff was pretty funny though. Did you try the coke tip?

@zwc0442 any insight? Was the OEM copper anodized?
I think it's some sort of copper color plasma like coating they did. It definitely doesn't appear to be actually copper as they'd be corroded in the hinges if so.

Well, since no one step up to make a recommendation......i'll make suggestion......and this is what i use for my polished frames and plasma frames to remove tarnish and oxidation....use a little at a a time in a small area. don't rub too hard either; 100% cotton cloth works the best. Since copper is a thin metal coating, it should work and protect the metal. This is a polishing compound, be gentle otherwise it will thin out too much to expose bare metal. PS.....not advertising for the company, but that's what i had in the garage. Eagle One also has a nano compound chrome polish, i bet it will work as well.
View attachment 462086

That'd be fine for a regular polished frame but it would destroy the finish on a penny copper.

Yes, the CP is not really copper, but some sort of a coating, perhaps like plasma. Thats why I was asking, pretty sure off the shelf chrome or metal cleaning compounds will hurt the finish. Anyone else?

Personally I wouldn't touch em. It's a finish that no one has replicated so would leave em as is and not risk messing them up with any sort of polish. For tarnished 2nd gen plasma I can clean the tarnishing with the etch I use for anodizing but not sure if it would have similar results on the copper penny finish as I've never tried.

Latest Posts

Back