• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Copper Penny finish...

David_Oakley

I should Work at Oakley
Houston, TX
I've seen some examples in the past of copper pennies looking significantly lighter in color than the traditional copper tone associated with copper pennies.

I display mine in a display tower that is not in contact with direct sunlight ever. I never wear it either. So is there a possibility for the copper finish to fade from extended displaying?

Sounds like a silly question, but just something I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

David

so If I were to leave it in the display indoors...out of direct sunlight.....should retain its original color?
I would say no, that contact with air is a greater contributor to oxidation than UV.

I would say no, that contact with air is a greater contributor to oxidation than UV.

well that is certainly not the answer I was hoping for...but truth hurts ;)

so this begs a follow up questions......the copper finish is not real copper is it? or is it?

Are there any collectors on here that have displayed their copper pennies the entire time of ownership (for years) without issues of discoloration etc?

well that is certainly not the answer I was hoping for...but truth hurts ;)

so this begs a follow up questions......the copper finish is not real copper is it? or is it?

Are there any collectors on here that have displayed their copper pennies the entire time of ownership (for years) without issues of discoloration etc?

The only problem here is it will be a subjective answer, not an objective one.........

the copper finish is not real copper is it? or is it?
To the best of my knowledge the finish is a copper plating with a clear coating over.
I would think if this were not the case that the copper finish would corrode much quicker than it appears to degrade.

Back