• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

copper xmetals-show me the patina

erap

I should Work at Oakley
the only oem i know is the copper penny. others are copper plated juliets, xx or romeo. curious to see the discoloration or "patina" on the copper oem finish or copper plated xmetals.

how long did it take to have the discoloration?

i used to have copper watches which developed greenish hue discoloration.

the only oem i know is the copper penny. others are copper plated juliets, xx or romeo. curious to see the discoloration or "patina" on the copper oem finish or copper plated xmetals.

how long did it take to have the discoloration?

i used to have copper watches which developed greenish hue discoloration.

You can make your own patina on x metals.

Right, Penny was the only OEM. Over the years there have been several people doing custom copper on other frames. Some clear coat, some do not. Some leave the natural plated finish, some were given a brushed finish. I think I recall a few with a brushed finish and no coating, but I don't know if the owners are still active here.

But yes, a patina would look like darkening and dullness while green stuff would be oxidation. Patina is really a polite term for tarnish. How quickly and in what form it develops depends on handling and other environmental factors. And then a patina can be forced using different substances but I haven't seen an example of a forced patina on copper x-metals.

My copper-plated Juliet is clear coated so hasn't tarnished. It might have dulled a bit with time but not sure if that's true or memory playing tricks.

I no longer have pictures but my custom Juliet showed after two months with little usage.

20190830_083610.jpg