• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Corona 19 thread

A bunch of us were talking about possibilities of school in the fall. With all of the events happening, I’m certain these numbers will spike back up in a couple weeks, which is unfortunate.

Cali has been bad as of late though date rates have gone down which is awesome.
View attachment 745855
Statistically speaking...

Those under the age of 24 are more likely to be struck by lightning than die of Covid.

I don't know anyone that has ever been struck by lightning. I also, don't know anyone that knows anyone that has been struck by lightning. Its exceedingly rare.

Plus, Sweden has a country full of younger kids that never stopped going to school and I think they're all still alive and well. Maybe someone should check on that though.....

*and before a coronakaren pipes up that kids could be carriers, there is numerous studies refuting exactly that. They don't get as sick because they overcome the virus much quicker meaning they have a very very short window of which they could be carriers. It's a sciencey thing....

Now back to more serious things...

FB_IMG_1591192979479.jpg

Statistically speaking...

Those under the age of 24 are more likely to be struck by lightning than die of Covid.

I don't know anyone that has ever been struck by lightning. I also, don't know anyone that knows anyone that has been struck by lightning. Its exceedingly rare.

Plus, Sweden has a country full of younger kids that never stopped going to school and I think they're all still alive and well. Maybe someone should check on that though.....

*and before a coronakaren pipes up that kids could be carriers, there is numerous studies refuting exactly that. They don't get as sick because they overcome the virus much quicker meaning they have a very very short window of which they could be carriers. It's a sciencey thing....
I don’t think I made my position clear - while I do think this is still running rampant, I really hope schools do open back up in August. E learning has been atrocious for these project-based classes. Imagine trying to teach students how to get program and properly operate a CNC Machine virtually...it’s difficult, and with the very loose state board of education standards and requirements on students, there really is no way to hold kids accountable for attendance and assignment issues. If we do go into fall with e learning, I am hoping more guidelines are put into place

I don’t think I made my position clear - while I do think this is still running rampant, I really hope schools do open back up in August. E learning has been atrocious for these project-based classes. Imagine trying to teach students how to get program and properly operate a CNC Machine virtually...it’s difficult, and with the very loose state board of education standards and requirements on students, there really is no way to hold kids accountable for attendance and assignment issues. If we do go into fall with e learning, I am hoping more guidelines are put into place
I gotcha bro, I didn't read any more into than that. I agree with you. You watch though, it'll go the same way everything else is going...red states will have schools in session before blue states and the safety measures will be drastically different between the two. It's all too political when it should be logical.

I honestly think the younger children being out of school is a much bigger problem than the current status of covid, for a multitude of reasons.

Last edited:
What is the expected outcome of all this closure and social distancing? We could not leave our houses for 2 months and the corona virus will still be around. And guess what, in 5 years we will still have corona virus. Its not going anywhere. H1N1, ebola, Sars, all still around. This is stupid.
It started as 'flattening the curve.' Then it became, 'we can't overrun our healthcare system.' Then it became 'we must wait for a vaccine.' Now some are saying 'we must wait for a cure.'

Any rational person can see that what began as an honest attempt to mitigate and control the spread of covid quickly metastasized into flat out tyrannical population control!

They do have about 10 times higher mortality than we do in Norway so I wouldn't call it a smashing success ;) We closed down part of society (schools, training facilities) and put restrictions on travel for about 2 months. Stores etc. has been open the entire time here and schools opened up again as soon as the rate of infection was under control and hospitals had excess capacity. Afaik Finland also opened their schools quickly after the first rush of cases was under control.

Kids with no underlying illness aren't at risk, but at the time schools were closed here very little was known about how they would spread infection.

The US seems to have reacted too slowly and when they did the shut down has been excessive in many places. Somewhat the same here with schools being closed for a while in districts with no confirmed cases of Covid-19...

Back