• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Costco Lens Cleaner Ok For My Oakleys?

brownnugen

Oakley Beginner
I just got a new set of polarized Flak Jackets and want to start off on the right foot.

I tried a search, but could not find anything on other solutions. Does anyone here have any experience with the Costco eyeglass cleaning solution? It sells for less than $6 and comes with 2 bottles, 2 cleaning clothes, tool kit and has free refills. I tried to look on the back of the packaging to see if it provided details on the alcohol percentage, but it didn't say.

Packaging describes it as: "AR Kleen multipurpose lens cleaner. This product can be used on glass, plastic and anti-reflective coated lenses. None of these ingredients are known carcinogens or hazardous substances."Ingredients: Deionized Water (Pharmaceutical Grade), Alkyl Sulfates, Dehypound HSC 5515, [Surfactant COncentrate (Proprietary Blend)], EDTA, Tetrasodium Salt, Triethanolamine) Mtg by Amcon Laboratories, St. Louis, MO 63119

I asked the optomotrist lady about this and she said that it is safe to use on glasses with the anti-reflective coating, sunglasses, etc and have never heard of any problems.
Thanks,
-Nick

Costco used to sell Oakleys. You can ask the people working the optical center if they recall that long ago and if there were issues.

If you're by a Costco there's likely a mall nearby you with a Sunglasses Hut, they sell the Oakley kit for $10 with free refills.

I live in the UP of Michigan and unfortunately don't live anywhere remotely near a Costco, SGH, or Oakley store, so am very limited on buying or getting refills. I have to take advantage of those times when I am driving through a big town where there is a mall or Costco to get refills. I just happen to drive by a Costco today and picked this up. I think I can order the Oakley cleaning kit through US Standard Issue. Assuming average use (which I don't know how many cleaning a week/month is considered average), how long will a bottle of the Oakley stuff last? I'd hate to run out of cleaning solution before I can get a refill.

That was one of the appealing things with the Costco kit, it came with two 2 ounce bottles so I am less likely to run out before I can get a refill.
-Nick

Where in the UP are you? I lived in Houghton to 5 years.

Try a little bit of the cleaning solution on the lenses the fit inside the frame in case it starts to cloud the polycarbonate. I would think it'll be OK to use though.

Where in the UP are you? I lived in Houghton to 5 years.

Try a little bit of the cleaning solution on the lenses the fit inside the frame in case it starts to cloud the polycarbonate. I would think it'll be OK to use though.

I live in Sault Sainte Marie, MI. Having been a Yooper, you understand how limited my options are up here. Thank goodness for forums like this to help me make informed decisions.

The Soo is pretty remote for being as famous as it is. LSSU would bring in more stuff you'd think.

Houghton was a small town with a lot of mom and pop shops and combo stores. The hockey shop is also the tux rental shop, for instance. We had an outdoors shop that sold Oakleys, but no real chains outside of Walmart, McDonalds, and 4 Subways.

It really depends how often you wear a certain pair of glasses. Generally I find my O spray lasts quite a while. It's definitely worth picking it up if you can!

The Costco Lens Cleaning solution is perfectly fine for your Oakley sunglasses. I use them on all my rare sub zeros, carbon penny, romeo 1, ott's....you name it....not a problem.

Latest Posts

Back