• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crate Mars

Batwolf

Double Team
Premium Member
Portland, OR
No, I don't mean Crater.

So, I'm sure by now most of us are aware of the eBay seller "eyeframesman" that has been slinging Mars for years on eBay under different aliases. The seller offers blank Mars frames, X-Metal with Black Iridium and Crater X-Metal with Black Iridium.

She sells dozens a week and has been doing so for awhile now. I wonder where the supply has been coming from to be able to sell so many for such a long period of time.

Is there any ballpark of production numbers for Mars?

Here's a little bit of backstory related to the "Crate" Mars - http://www.freshnessmag.com/2010/08/19/oakley-x-metal-mars-sunglasses/

Freshness Mag said:
The story of X-Metal MARS took an unlikely turn last year. A decade after its introduction and thousands of pairs sold, staff stumbled upon a few crates within the Oakley’s inventory. In them were pristine pairs of MARS in the original 3 variants Crater, Metal, and Leather Wrapped. Though no one is certain how these crates were overlooked, all are in agreement that these were from the original batch made over a decade ago. To show their appreciation to long time Oakley supporters, Baden decided to give away these coveted eyewears, with the addition of laser engraved serial number on each pair to keep track.

To reiterate, I know the story of the crate sales and that the seller is legit.

This is more to discuss how the seller has had so many and when they will eventually run out. Also about how these "crate" pairs were randomly discovered after sitting for so long.

I also asked the big man himself about this topic so hopefully he can shed some light about how these "crate" pairs were discovered.

To reiterate, I know the story of the crate sales and that the seller is legit.

This is more to discuss how the seller has had so many and when they will eventually run out.

I also asked the big man himself about this topic so hopefully he can shed some light about how these "crate" pairs were discovered.
So you're saying that the Mars the seller is selling are authentic?

Yes, I picked up a pair that arrived this week. They are 100% authentic. The lenses had a bad film on them, and took a lot f washing to clean them off. They also are not quite as clear and perfect optics like my Juliet's. however for a brand new with out the box, pair of Mars Crater with BI lenses for $362 shipped, I was pretty happy with the deal.

Yes, I picked up a pair that arrived this week. They are 100% authentic. The lenses had a bad film on them, and took a lot f washing to clean them off. They also are not quite as clear and perfect optics like my Juliet's. however for a brand new with out the box, pair of Mars Crater with BI lenses for $362 shipped, I was pretty happy with the deal.
Good to know. Thanks.

Very interesting story. I tried to search for more info on the story and really couldn't find any other than the article you posted. I would love to find out if there is any other way to get a pair of these "crate" mars other than eBay.

Very interesting story. I tried to search for more info on the story and really couldn't find any other than the article you posted. I would love to find out if there is any other way to get a pair of these "crate" mars other than eBay.

Judging by the amount she has sold, and continues to sell; she may have gotten the entire crate.

There was a pair on there at 4am Pacific time. Looks like those were sold within the last 6 hours. I don't see her having another pair aside of the ones with no lenses.
I would love to get the ones without the lenses and build them with a custom cut lens and some matching rubbers. Would be pretty awesome.

Back