• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crater Freak Accident

Amak.2DK

Double Down Kings
Hey O brothers,

Would like your prospective view regarding to your past experiences with Oakley Nose Bridge service. From my understanding the service is discounted or throughout certain country.

Well I visited a Oakley Store in Thailand and was surprised they're still servicing for X metal, from rivet, nose bridge and replacenment rubber. Anyways decided to take my chance for getting the Juliet tune-up

Here's the end result.

Photo of Juliet Tune-up
1488334003326.jpg

Recently I've just acquired the Mars Crater and Penny, which suffer the worn out nose bridge and decided to go with the flow to get them service.
4 days after, received a call from the store informing that one of the rivet has pop and would replace them for a fee. Although I was curious how it pop during the process of removing the rivet.

Photo of the Pop Rivet
20170301_091359.jpg

Anyways just picked these up and honestly was really shock of the end results,

Photo of Penny Tune-up
1488334005091.jpg

Photo of Poor Crater
1488334006270.jpg
Close up
1488334007669.jpg

I tried to explain the issue to the staff and All they can say was installing the is rivet is like "handmade" and vary from frame to frame. Which just doesn't add up since it looks like the person was in a rush to fix it.

So I ask the store to get them replace, but they enforced that I would have to pay extra once more, even through I paid for it on the first round. Tried to talk to them with respect and even suggested them to take a photo to sent to their professional repair staff to evaluate the issue. They refused and mention that the person has been fixing x metal for the past 30 years. Yeah don't know what he's talking about, I mean X metal haven't been around for 30 years has it?

Was wondering if anyone has this type of issue before?

Last edited:
Yes, the pin wasn't pushed in all the way. Honestly I was fearing something much worse than that, haha. It is not good to pay for a job like you did and have it not completed well. If it was me in this situation I would probably wear them like they are. Could always try pushing the pin in further but must be very very careful not to damage the bridge. I would leave them alone and wear them as is, being thankful they were not ruined...

Blag! You paid for a half ass job with no guarantee? That sucks! I've had plenty of tune ups at Oakley and some of them were crap but they were free so I couldn't complain.

As mentioned before just send them to the xman. At least you know he will do a good job. Nice pairs by the way.

X Metal has not been around 30 yrs. if you need a tune up send them to @THE X-MAN

Appreciate the guidance and really want the Tune-up to be in the states. But with all the shipping and import duty (they actually open the box and evaluate the duty fee, about 20-30% per glasses). Haha, I'm probably bad luck since this happen to me 3 times already.

Yes, the pin wasn't pushed in all the way. Honestly I was fearing something much worse than that, haha. It is not good to pay for a job like you did and have it not completed well. If it was me in this situation I would probably wear them like they are. Could always try pushing the pin in further but must be very very careful not to damage the bridge. I would leave them alone and wear them as is, being thankful they were not ruined...

I figure as well that the pin was pushed all the way or align properly. But I will definitely take your your advise and leave them as is for now, unless @THE X-MAN visit thailand!

Haha, I'll be really worried about the worst case scenario for the nose bridge.

Appreciate the guidance and really want the Tune-up to be in the states. But with all the shipping and import duty (they actually open the box and evaluate the duty fee, about 20-30% per glasses). Haha, I'm probably bad luck since this happen to me 3 times already.

I figure as well that the pin was pushed all the way or align properly. But I will definitely take your your advise and leave them as is for now, unless @THE X-MAN visit thailand!

Haha, I'll be really worried about the worst case scenario for the nose bridge.
Agreed, it isn't worth risking them damage. The pin just isn't fully inserted, that isn't causing them harm. There are horror stories about bridges being destroyed by improper tune up jobs. I'm glad that wasn't the case with your crater. Such a cool pair of glasses!

Blag! You paid for a half ass job with no guarantee? That sucks! I've had plenty of tune ups at Oakley and some of them were crap but they were free so I couldn't complain.

As mentioned before just send them to the xman. At least you know he will do a good job. Nice pairs by the way.

Yeah man, really learn my lesson here. They also mention the machine to install the rivet isn't the same as linegear and wonder if anyone has seen it in person?

Agreed, it isn't worth risking them damage. The pin just isn't fully inserted, that isn't causing them harm. There are horror stories about bridges being destroyed by improper tune up jobs. I'm glad that wasn't the case with your crater. Such a cool pair of glasses!

Thanks man, I know I won't be able to have many awesome collection but trying my best to have a decent collection. Oh man, I gotta search on the horror story about the bridges being destroyed and the crater wasn't in the same situation. This forum Cheer me up for sure, thanks everyone.

Yeah man, really learn my lesson here. They also mention the machine to install the rivet isn't the same as linegear and wonder if anyone has seen it in person?

Thanks man, I know I won't be able to have many awesome collection but trying my best to have a decent collection. Oh man, I gotta search on the horror story about the bridges being destroyed and the crater wasn't in the same situation. This forum Cheer me up for sure, thanks everyone.

On the bright side they didn't lose them or break them. Enjoy them and send them out next time.

Back