• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crossing Crankcases

spin_nin

I should Work at Oakley
Chicago, IL.
Purchased two different pairs of Crankcase sunglasses, intending to swap lenses and icons. Now, the two custom Oakley Crankcase sunglasses are:

Polished Black Crankcase with Jade Iridium Lenses and Green Icons:

IMG_0577C.jpg

IMG_0579C.jpg

P1090279C.jpg

And Polished White w/ Warm Grey Lenses and Gunmetal Icons:

IMG_0605C.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

P1090297C.jpg

Last edited:
Great job. The black with the green icons and jade lenses look awesome. The Polished White with Warm Grey and Gunmetal icons aren't bad either.
Thanks!!

I honestly think they both look better this way. The Polished White w/ JI, according to my gf, looked like something a punk college kid would wear. She thinks the Blk w/ JI looks "sophisticated." I think the Gunmetal and Warm Grey colorway tone down the "over the top" White w/ JI combo. Makes it much less "Douchey."

Thanks!!

I honestly think they both look better this way. The Polished White w/ JI, according to my gf, looked like something a punk college kid would wear. She thinks the Blk w/ JI looks "sophisticated." I think the Gunmetal and Warm Grey colorway tone down the "over the top" White w/ JI combo. Makes it much less "Douchey."

I'd have to agree

You improved both pairs. Awesome job. Black/green is becoming an increasingly popular combo now, especially after the SGH releases.

I almost did that with jade and the smoke text. Never got my hands on the text pair and eventually just sold the white crankcase. Too bad too because that looks excellent sir!

Thanks for the replies!

The main reason I went with the Crankcase is because I like the way it fits me and I also like the way it looks on me. The "hole" on the side never bothered me; I think it adds to the distinctive look and makes it different, in a good way.

Unfortunately, Oakley didn't make any model of the Crankcase, not one, in a colorway that I liked; The Polished Black / Warm Grey / Gunmetal Icon was ok but, due to a lack of an Iridium lens, it was a not a keeper. A lot of people on the forum like the Matte Black Frames but, I've always preferred Polished Black. I was also surprised by how much I liked the Steel Frame finish!

Therefore, I had to take it upon myself to create the colorways that I wanted by combining and customizing several different pairs. Thankfully, they've been available at decent prices, making all of this possible.

I don't really care for the White or Matte Clear Frames. They just don't look "right" on me. I do think my version of the Polished White Frame / Warm Grey / Gunmetal is / was better than the original White / JI combo. However, regarding the Matte Clear Frame, I can't find a combo on these that I like; I got them specifically for the Ice Ird Polarized lenses and Polished Blue Icons. The Matte Clear / JI / Polished Green Icon looks good @Nyarlathotep, but not so much on me. These frames will be taking a trip to Colorado Custom Look for the 2nd Group Buy!

So, here they are! The Crankcase collection the way I would have designed them, with what is / was available from Oakley. Unfortunately, the Crankcase was discontinued before they ever offered a colorway with the Ruby Ird lens and a Red icon or a Fire Ird lens w/ an Orange icon, so I couldn't incorporate those :sad: Boo!

Right to Left, Top to Bottom:

Steel Frame / JI / OEM Green Icons, Polished Black Frame / JI / Polished Green Icons.

Steel Frame / BIP / Chrome Icons, Polished Black Frame / Ice Ird Polarized / Polished Blue Icons.

Matte Black Frame / BIP / Chrome Icons, Polished Black Frame / Violet Ird / Polished Purple Icons.

IMG_0648R.jpg

Thanks again to everyone on this forum for posting helpful hints, tips, suggestions, solutions, encouragement, and to the good folks at the Oakley Vault and to trusted sellers on eBay for the materials that went into making these projects possible.

Last edited: