• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crosslink sock keep melting

Here the new rubber
c7ec9fc4b04f32e35d94575c8b50a460.jpg

My first set of Crosslink ear socks deteriorated in under a year. And I wash my glasses every couple of days. I went to Lenscrafters and they just gave me a new set of temples. I didn't even buy my glasses there. That was two years ago and I haven't had any issues with the ear socks. Maybe they just have good and bad batches?

I'm using copy Whisker earsocks on my prescription Oakley Sculpt 6.0.
Not exactly the same size (2mm short of the required 65mm) but they're the closest I've found so far as replacements.

The interesting thing is that they have started to deteriorate ('melt'), just like the real ones did - they must have copied the rubber compound a little too well 😄
I subsequently bought a different brand of copy Whisker earsocks, and a couple of months later they still look like new. It is definitely down to the rubber compound. Granted, the rubber is a little harder, but installs OK and seems to grip well. Designed-in obsolescence, or the price you pay for extra grippy earsocks? You decide.

I subsequently bought a different brand of copy Whisker earsocks, and a couple of months later they still look like new. It is definitely down to the rubber compound. Granted, the rubber is a little harder, but installs OK and seems to grip well. Designed-in obsolescence, or the price you pay for extra grippy earsocks? You decide.

Premium Performance in extreme conditions?

Or

Saving $9?

You decided

I did indeed. I like to use original parts, but Sculpt 6.0 (and Whisker?) original earsocks are now nigh on impossible to find for a sane price, if at all.
I just wanted to point out that the rubber compound used for the originals was not the toughest, they (as you state) went for performance over longevity.

Latest Posts

Back