• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crowd-source Designed - Lets Take It Back To Sculptural Art Wrapped In Science.

Ok so we're basically sick of the direction Oakley's been taking lately... with the Garage Rock and Big Taco etc. basically Frogskins anyway, just filling and feeding the hipsters and their fad.

this isnt a bash/hate thread, so if you are gonna do that, please take it elsewhere.

This is for creating. Lets design something, and make it happen.

I think we should do a few designs, I'll start off with 2 and update as we go. One in a o-matter type frame, and one as our elite, or xmetal replacement (nicknamed neXt-Metal here haha), if you will.

1. O-matter
Improve on current O-Matter (if possible)

2. neXt-Metal
Carbon Fibre or Liquidmetal Titanium

3. Razerwire's Monocle - The Mono-wire?

Dual-monocle design that can be reattached as a pair of glasses.
chain doubles as neck strap.

4. Batwolf's Minimalistic Wire frame with shield lens- The "Bat-Shield" hahaha
basic Nanowire 3.0 inspired. we'll redesign it ground up
break up the lens into 3 sections - orbitals and bridge. wire holds it together.

throw up some ideas and if we agree, we can add it on. we got graphic artists on here so if they can contribute by materialising our ideas/sketchy drawings/cave paintings/ chicken scratchings, that'll be great.

I've started with some suggestions for the materials

Definitely interested in what ideas may come up here.

Personally I'd like to see something different in terms of lens shape. Perhaps play around with polygonal shapes. Maybe some hard lines instead of curving.

For the way out in left field idea? MONOCLE. LOL

Definitely interested in what ideas may come up here.

Personally I'd like to see something different in terms of lens shape. Perhaps play around with polygonal shapes. Maybe some hard lines instead of curving.

For the way out in left field idea? MONOCLE. LOL

OHLY **** THATS GENIUS! monocle definietly. they already did a pocket watch combo thing with the FMJ Watch. what about a dual monocle that can be clipped together to be a full frame pair of glasses? votes.

and i like the polygonal idea too. when they make a collaboration pair, should make a new frame. a true collaboration MODEL not just a colorway.

Lamborghini was always about the Hexagons.. i think there would be some good stuff there instead of just slapping a paint job and a sticker on a holbrook..

i might pick up the pencil again today and start sketching. keep em coming guys!

OHLY **** THATS GENIUS! monocle definietly. they already did a pocket watch combo thing with the FMJ Watch. what about a dual monocle that can be clipped together to be a full frame pair of glasses? votes.

and i like the polygonal idea too. when they make a collaboration pair, should make a new frame. a true collaboration MODEL not just a colorway.

Lamborghini was always about the Hexagons.. i think there would be some good stuff there instead of just slapping a paint job and a sticker on a holbrook..

i might pick up the pencil again today and start sketching. keep em coming guys!
Dual monocle could work. The chain can be detachable on both ends and when they're detached from the monocles, they could be reattached at the ends of the ear stems on the frame. It would form one of those glasses saver rope things that you attach at the end of the stems of the frame.

I'm thinking it would look rather steampunk-ish.

Dual monocle could work. The chain can be detachable on both ends and when they're detached from the monocles, they could be reattached at the ends of the ear stems on the frame. It would form one of those glasses saver rope things that you attach at the end of the stems of the frame.

I'm thinking it would look rather steampunk-ish.

yeah im already imagining something Mars-ish, but not quite. good idea with the dual use chain. lets add this to the ideas in #1

yeah im already imagining something Mars-ish, but not quite. good idea with the dual use chain. lets add this to the ideas in #1
Lens shape would probably have to remain circular so the monocle can hang onto the face. But maybe a hexagonal or octagonal shape may work as well.

So are you thinking of going off old patent sketches or a completely original design?

My only concern with this is infringing on one or several patents. Things like hinge design, frame design, shape and etc could all be a part of copyright infringement.

Lens shape would probably have to remain circular so the monocle can hang onto the face. But maybe a hexagonal or octagonal shape may work as well.

yeah i hear ya. the monocle would have to have a metal surround, so lenses are swappable (or go minimalist and have a lens-only monocle, and it slots into the main frame). or a partial surround. im thinking a Hexagon or Octogon that we can tweak/stretch/alter dimensions to get a certain look.

So are you thinking of going off old patent sketches or a completely original design?

My only concern with this is infringing on one or several patents. Things like hinge design, frame design, shape and etc could all be a part of copyright infringement.

complete redesign. i think we want something innovative for the hinges too so patent is not an issue in this one.

TO be honest, (jumping ahead here but) if this turns out well, i rather have Oakley recognise our efforts, and take it upon themselves to do a true Enthusiasts inspired line. I would have no qualms about that..

Batty... Please try not to be such a downer, no one is going to infringe on anything as this is basically a think tank. Hows about getting behind some topics instead of creating a negative feeling within them?

Well, put it this way, if we get a C&D letter, we'll have to change things up. But I'm sure I'm sure with the extensive knowledge between here and Oreview's database, we can come up with some pretty original sketches. If someone says "I've seen that before on _______" then obviously we need to change it.

Back