• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crowd-source Designed - Lets Take It Back To Sculptural Art Wrapped In Science.

Would like dark X-Metal oribitals & real carbon fiber arms.
Shape should be stealth.

Hi guys, well I don't know what to say. From the past couple of years, I have noticed myself investing in old designs, ones like you mentioned before, had everything in them. Didn't realize that since Luxottica has taken over Oakley, nothing has been the same. In that, these new designs are, to me actually somewhat of a shame to the Oakley name. I didn't think anybody would resonate with me on this but here I am writing in a thread filled with like-minded people, which I appreciate.

Anyway, the main reason why I'm writing here is that I was just trying to work out on a new design for X-Metals or neXt-Metals if you will....and I think i got something pretty solid. My initial thought was that I would approach Oakley directly and ask them if they accepted designs from outside. Anyway, I'm not even sure if this is something that would be appreciated by everyone but I would say that I have two designs inspired by the X-Metal Juliet, Oakley Plate Sunglasses and a little by flying eagles, pilots and the aviation industry.

Anyways,

If at all people like my designs, then what shall I do guys? Any ideas? Shall I pitch the idea to the Oakley Design Team??

Hi guys, well I don't know what to say. From the past couple of years, I have noticed myself investing in old designs, ones like you mentioned before, had everything in them. Didn't realize that since Luxottica has taken over Oakley, nothing has been the same. In that, these new designs are, to me actually somewhat of a shame to the Oakley name. I didn't think anybody would resonate with me on this but here I am writing in a thread filled with like-minded people, which I appreciate.

Anyway, the main reason why I'm writing here is that I was just trying to work out on a new design for X-Metals or neXt-Metals if you will....and I think i got something pretty solid. My initial thought was that I would approach Oakley directly and ask them if they accepted designs from outside. Anyway, I'm not even sure if this is something that would be appreciated by everyone but I would say that I have two designs inspired by the X-Metal Juliet, Oakley Plate Sunglasses and a little by flying eagles, pilots and the aviation industry.

Anyways,

If at all people like my designs, then what shall I do guys? Any ideas? Shall I pitch the idea to the Oakley Design Team??
The day you submit your design is the day it no longer become yours...

So what do you suggest I do?? I am thinking about that 3d printing option in that it sounds very nice and doable (in terms of cost). So just thinking I would get a prototype pair just for myself BUT, if I were to do that, I am fairly certain I should NOT be using the 'O' logo on the Temples. sigh, this just keeps getting better....

So what do you suggest I do?? I am thinking about that 3d printing option in that it sounds very nice and doable (in terms of cost). So just thinking I would get a prototype pair just for myself BUT, if I were to do that, I am fairly certain I should NOT be using the 'O' logo on the Temples. sigh, this just keeps getting better....

As long as they are for personal use and not for sale you can put the O logo anywhere you want. There is no team in black suburban's coming to get you for 3d printing a personal pair and wearing them.

Technically use of a logo for personal projects falls under "Fair Use" terms in copyright law. It's when you make money off of a company's existing works (i.e using their logos on something that's not their own) is when it becomes illegal. A hypothetical one-off is fair game. Car customizers have done that kind of stuff for years, made cars that used company terms. Like Chip Foose's famous "HEMIsfear" coupe, which used Chrysler's Hemi brand name. Sure, he probably had to get permission to use it because it was a super-low volume production vehicle, but I digress.

As for your project itself? You'd have to use a hell of a 3d printer to make something that would stand up to sweat and everyday elements. ABS can only go so far, and I'm not too familiar with other plastics used by 3D printers. IMO, if you can afford it, make an X-Metal style frame from a billet of aluminum. CNC would result in a much more structurally sound product (since you're subtracting from solid metal rather than printing from scratch with plastics), and the possibilities can get a bit crazier. Perhaps a 2-piece hybrid like the Madman / Badman series?

I'd love for Oakley to do more with carbon. Carbon Blade is great for lightweight, and I personally love the design and accents and curves, but the C6 is still the ultimate. I love the idea of "sculptural" frames the way the X Metals were. I'm still waiting to see a frame that's more badass than the Juliet. Juliet frame design just SCREAMS action hero.

Wow, yes well while that does truly make sense and I s8ncerely thank you for your suggestions "Gunmoku" I will say that I just sent my designs into oakley for a review. I have also heard back from their legal department and they said that they are looking into it. Hopefully something positive will suffice, if not then I don't have anything to lose. And well, while I do love the idea of the conception of Madman and Badman, I don't know why I cannot seem to place them with a positive liking in my heart as compared with the original titans like the x-metals. Anyway, I will upload a design here soon for you all to check out, hopefully I will get some good feedback. Take Good care.

Back