• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crystal Black/Black Iridium - Waited 12+ Years To Add This One Back To The Collection

SpliceD

Pronounced, "Spliced"
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks JiveSEVEN for making this possible!

I've told this story on this forum before, but i'll just repeat it here for continuity's sake.
==============================================
I bought my first pair of Oakley's in the summer of 1997. I had just turned 17. Crystal Black/Black Iridium Frogskins.

Previously I had noticed one of my friends wearing the Crystal Black/Black Iridium Frogskins and i thought they were awesome. So when it came time for the family to make a trip to the optometrist, i opted for sunglasses instead of regular glasses since my prescription had not changed.

I took good care of them and never got a single scratch on them for a full year until i went to the beach with some friends. I had put them back into the microfiber bag and put them into my backpack while i went into the water. When i came back, i found my friend had decided to use my backpack as a pillow. By the time i told him to GTFO, it was too late. He had cracked the bottom left orbital. He didn't have cash to replace them and i figured i could just take them to SGH and get them exchanged. Back then, the Oakley warranty was awesome. No receipt, no problem. The sales girl gave me another pair, but i realized the lenses weren't Iridium and just the standard Grey, and the Black Iridium was out of stock. I opted to keep my original pair since the sales girl didn't want to swap the lenses since they weren't the same. I just kept wearing my cracked pair until the crack got worse and eventually broke.

After a few weeks it was again time for that yearly optometrist visit and i picked up a pair of E-wires and never looked back. Back then i never thought i'd be collecting or that they would be worth something, so i simply threw the broken pair away.

When my collection started growing and it finally occurred to me that i should look online to repurchase my frogs, the prices on ebay were high and the conditions they were in weren't ideal.

So after many years of searching i pretty much gave up, until i found this forum and met Rob (JiveSEVEN) and for him being an awesome fellow Oakley fan to ask if I wanted this pair that he threw together from swapping lenses from his Antifreeze pair with the ruby from his Crystal Black/Ruby.

Thank you SO MUCH, Rob. You seriously have no idea what having this pair back means to me. Collecting is not always about how many you have or which Limited or Rare pairs you can get. For me, this pair is the story of how it came to be, the friends i've made being a part of this community, and how it made me the Oakley fan i am today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I was able to help you out man. Great story by the way, and yes sometimes it's the sentimental value that counts!

Back