• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cube Restoration Pointers/parts Needed

96.SVT.COBRA

I should Work at Oakley
Hi everyone I picked up a cube a few years ago however it had 2 issues which I felt like were minor for the deal I got. As you can see in the picture one of my door hinges is missing the bolt/nut and at some point the locking mechanism was damaged to get into the case after losing the keys I would assume.

Casefinished.jpg

Are there specific parts at Lowe's or HD that would fix these issues or an online supplier?

At HD you can find the lock and key for around 7$... In the kitchen cabinets/drawer handles sections

The brand around here is 'Richelieu' ... Yours might differ as they might stock American brands...

Thanks fellas I will see if I can knock out the lock mechanism tomorrow and get in touch with the person for the missing bolt.

Couple more questions for those with more knowledge than I..

I am still struggling finding a lock for this thing and even a locksmith couldn't help me. Maybe this is just the small town I'm in I will keep checking.

Also, looking at other cubes out there it looks like some have middle shelves where the rivet on the outside is. Can someone confirm if ALL came with a shelf or did some come without and is there anyway to know if mine should have a shelf or not?

AFAIK, it appears that case has been modded. For one thing, it has a very polished finish, much more so than how they were made.

I could be wrong, but the lock is also something that doesn't look like what's normal with these things.

I wouldn't bother trying to replace the lock with something like exactly what's in there - it's different from typical. Can you remove it at all? Usually it just takes access to the inner side, unscrew a ring or something...

To replace, just get a simple cabinet lock at home depot. In my neck of the woods, $5. That's what they had originally...

20140910_011607.jpg

If you need more help removing the existing lock, post some detailed pics of the backside / inner door surface mount.

AFAIK, it appears that case has been modded. For one thing, it has a very polished finish, much more so than how they were made.

The polish was a poor attempt by me so I brought that one on myself.

I could be wrong, but the lock is also something that doesn't look like what's normal with these things.

I wouldn't bother trying to replace the lock with something like exactly what's in there - it's different from typical. Can you remove it at all? Usually it just takes access to the inner side, unscrew a ring or something...

To replace, just get a simple cabinet lock at home depot. In my neck of the woods, $5. That's what they had originally...

View attachment 104463

If you need more help removing the existing lock, post some detailed pics of the backside / inner door surface mount.

The lock is quite a bit larger than the one pictured. I think that size lock would rattle around in the case and not function at all. Possibly the plexiglass was cut wider to accommodate this lock? Hmm....

The lock is quite a bit larger than the one pictured. I think that size lock would rattle around in the case and not function at all. Possibly the plexiglass was cut wider to accommodate this lock? Hmm....

Yes, the diameter of the face looks bigger, but that doesn't mean the diameter of the hole is bigger. Need more pics.

Back