• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Current Prices Of Juliets

I agree with many points made here but I wonder if the fact that x metals have only 'fairly' recently been discontinued, still leaves the wave of interest that we know of today. Once production has been over a few more years from now, and unless you become an Oakley enthusiast from other models or loving the brand itself, apart from those already in the know, x metal awareness will surely not be there for the new generation of Oakley fans. I believe the values of good pieces, serialised and complete will always have a collectable value, but will that collectors market as we now know it, still be there in ten plus years time? I'm not saying it won't, but the Juliet / X squared production which was the last of the x metal line has certainly stimulated the interest and market in these models for the moment, but we'll have to sit and wait. Personally, I don't see the number of x metal collectors being at the same capacity in years to come.

I agree with many points made here but I wonder if the fact that x metals have only 'fairly' recently been discontinued, still leaves the wave of interest that we know of today. Once production has been over a few more years from now, and unless you become an Oakley enthusiast from other models or loving the brand itself, apart from those already in the know, x metal awareness will surely not be there for the new generation of Oakley fans. I believe the values of good pieces, serialised and complete will always have a collectable value, but will that collectors market as we now know it, still be there in ten plus years time? I'm not saying it won't, but the Juliet / X squared production which was the last of the x metal line has certainly stimulated the interest and market in these models for the moment, but we'll have to sit and wait. Personally, I don't see the number of x metal collectors being at the same capacity in years to come.

:neo:

Valid points... But I have to disagree. There is a Gigantic market for quality vintage products. Believe in the years to come hipsters will be in full force trying to run down a pair of mint juliets. Even more so, as the oakley brand continues to expand more and more people will eventually come into collecting. Even more so, as economies develop in the middle east, asia and the Philippines vast numbers of people will create a new market.

Where I do agree with you in this... World wide exposure to x-metals through movies will no longer be the life blood of the line. I think almost everyone I know got into x metals through watching tom cruise in MI2 or watching the x-men movies etc.

I personally wouldn't be of the thinking that the fashion conscious youth of today, will be involved in boosting the number of future collectors. Their styles and fads change minute by minute too much for this to happen. X metals are also not a classic aviator or wayfarer design so may also not appeal too much in that area to begin with.
I would think the discontinuation of the line has already begin the popularity decline for years to come. If presently we have people in our O stores and vaults who do not recognise an x metal as an Oakley product, I would not think the general public stands too much if a chance discovering these models down the road, unless you are really into the Oakley brand. I would only think the latest era of x metal enthusiasts such as ourselves and the very newcomers, will generate or more likely sustain the present interest, for now ....

I personally wouldn't be of the thinking that the fashion conscious youth of today, will be involved in boosting the number of future collectors. Their styles and fads change minute by minute too much for this to happen. X metals are also not a classic aviator or wayfarer design so may also not appeal too much in that area to begin with.
I would think the discontinuation of the line has already begin the popularity decline for years to come. If presently we have people in our O stores and vaults who do not recognise an x metal as an Oakley product, I would not think the general public stands too much if a chance discovering these models down the road, unless you are really into the Oakley brand. I would only think the latest era of x metal enthusiasts such as ourselves and the very newcomers, will generate or more likely sustain the present interest, for now ....

I agree with you almost on all points!!! But trust me, People will do anything to differentiate themselves as the next coolest thing out there and with the end of the grunge era and late night 90's plenty of people will be hunting oakleys in the future... At least that is what I have seen live in around the NYC I cant tell you how many vintage stores are here that sell authentic 80's concert shirts, beer shirts, and old jerseys at $500 price point or higher. As for watches, furniture, accesories such as oakleys The price points are even higher.

I agree with you almost on all points!!! But trust me, People will do anything to differentiate themselves as the next coolest thing out there and with the end of the grunge era and late night 90's plenty of people will be hunting oakleys in the future... At least that is what I have seen live in around the NYC I cant tell you how many vintage stores are here that sell authentic 80's concert shirts, beer shirts, and old jerseys at $500 price point or higher. As for watches, furniture, accesories such as oakleys The price points are even higher.
I guess we'll have to wait and see. Maybe in 10/15 years there will be a resurgence in fashion, but from a collecting/collectors standpoint, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dude I get tell you how many hipsters I see walking around sporting old head phones and a sony walkman. Surely X-metals will gain appeal in time

Dude I get tell you how many hipsters I see walking around sporting old head phones and a sony walkman. Surely X-metals will gain appeal in time
I hope you're right pal I really do. Not from a value point of view but for them still to be a wanted and respected item. It would be a shame for them to fade away. I personally did not enter the x metal game for any kind of future reward or gains. I did it for the complete appreciation of what they are and how they were made. I try not to consider future values and they will always fluctuate to a point but their popularity will be primarily determined by awareness, which will decline.

Back