• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Current value of a mint NIB 24K X-Squared full set compared to C-Six?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyChevy

Oakley Expert
Alberta
Hi everyone. Just wondered what you think is a fair value for a new in box mint 24K X-Squared full set and how that compares to to a new in box mint C-Six Aluminum full set? And what do you think the value of each will compare 5-10 years down the road. Obviously the 24K X-Squared retailed at a far lower price, but it came in smaller numbers that the Aluminum C-Six and they are on ebay for quite a high price at times.

Thanks.

IMHO at this time its about an even trade and probably projects out in the future for the same.

Oh valuation!!!

I love this topic and yet I have absolutely nothing at all whatsoever to say about it! :behindsofa: (got sarcasm?)

In terms of valuation compared to each other that's easy... "what CarGuy said" :whistle:

Now, what that valuation is in terms of dollars and sense is not as clear, there is a range. That range is influenced more by demand and/or how bad any individual in particular wants the item.

Looking forward I'll expect prices to rise slightly, but only slightly. So many of the people who want these already have them and too many of the people selling them are trying to take advantage of people [not my opinion, that's a fact jack!]. It would not surprise me at all to see prices only increase a couple of percentage points per year, maybe 15% over the next 5 years, with the occasional 'good deal' right around the prices we are seeing today.

One thing that may change this would be the resurrection of the X-Metals and/or Elite Carbons. That could spark interest and if similar limited releases were made available that could engage new collectors and bring back old collectors. I know its little more than wishful thinking, but it could happen one day. And if it did... IF it did, valuation could get a lot more interesting!

As far as the eBay prices go I would consider the average listed asking price for the 24K's, which averages out to nearly $4000.00 to be close to double what they would actually sell for, which would be a little more than what they are worth... The [Al] C SIXs are a little more reasonable, but not much, closer to $3300.00 - At that price it is still nearly a 50% markup over what anyone should pay for that [in my opinion].

Suffice to say that most of those BuyItNow prices are not very realistic for the C SIX Al or 24K X Squared. I see that one X Squared hanging out there for $2500 'with defects', needs lenses, but even that is at the very ceiling, a stretch for a minty BNIB pair.

Even with the eBay premiums the probability of either a C SIX Al or 24K X Squared selling for much over $2000 is unlikely; maybe $2200 to $2400 if you stumble across the right buyer and include shipping and insurance? I had a C SIX on there not long ago and received quite a few legitimate offers ranging from $1800 to $2100. I have seen some sell for more, but keeping the eBay fees and shipping/insurance in context the net value, well, not that much more. ;)

It will be interesting to see how much the auctions go for. I am guessing the reserve on that C SIX currently @ $1225 is close to 2K$, but that is just my guess. Kind of interesting that there are not more pics and a better description on that one?

Right on. Thanks guys. I think that we are all on the same page. I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these in the near future if I can get a reasonable price. The potential resurrection of the X-metals (or something of that style) and elite carbons may be the wild card that could effect value in the near term. Appreciate the input.

I can't see the 24Ks maintaining their current price point (or higher) indefinitely but that's just my opinion based on absolutely nothing.

I
I can't see the 24Ks maintaining their current price point (or higher) indefinitely but that's just my opinion based on absolutely nothing.

I agree, I don't see the 24k's staying at these ridiculous prices, especially since it's manly one guy trying to make a fortune of ripping off people. Which still hasn't sold. Lol

I only need 24k to complete the set of Juliet frame finishes but have baulked at paying the usual asking prices because I simply don't think they are worth that much. Especially when factoring in the 20% extra I could face in import charges as they are typically outside the EU.

The approach seems to be to increase the price when they inevitably don't sell, as if these were a Veblen good, where desirability increases in line with price. Doesn't seem to be working out that way...

I've consoled myself by buying interesting frame/lens combos like Corvettes and Finitos instead. I still want to add a 24k eventually, but not at £1500-2000.

If/When there is a new XMetal, I dont think it will detract from the originals. It may even add value.
We wont see the Juliets/Xmetals reproduced unless its a really rare, limited edition. And that will probably be from some hidden NOS stashed in a vault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back