• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom accessory!

Would you be interested in buying a custom coin holder?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oakley Jim

Oakley Enthusiast
Recently I've been messing around in my spare time with Autodesk Fusion360 to design all sorts of things and the other day I figured I'd have a crack at something super simple but which I thought might be quite effective. So I designed it pretty hastily on Tuesday afternoon and sent my finished drawing off to a relatively local guy who has a 3D printer, and it arrived today! I've taken several photos with my phone so please excuse the quality, but if I have these made out of some kind of metal in future, or even a much higher quality plastic, I'll take some more professional shots with my photography gear.

So, here's one of the first print I've received. The guy's printer messed up during printing and somehow I ended up with ten of these, so five sets/pairs.

IMG_4177.JPG

And, here we have the finished thing serving its intended purpose...

IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4172.jpg

Now, obviously that "purpose" is to simply look pretty/cool, but I quite like the way it's turned out, even if the print quality isn't spectacular.

The guy printed two in a darker grey which, as you can see, isn't quite such good quality as the paler grey:

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

However, the dimensions on the paler grey were ever so slightly out. As you can see, the holes on the underside which I'd allowed to insert 2x1mm neodymium magnets are quite a bit smaller on the pale grey coin holders, but the print quality is so much neater on the bottom.

Anyway, I only allowed +0.1mm on the diameter for the magnet holes, but I allowed the very same amount extra on the circular area for the actual coin to slot in and it's made for a perfectly snug fit. Again, it's a bit smaller on the pale grey but the plastic has a little flexibility so once you pop the coin in, it's such a perfect fit that there's no need for the magnets at all!

This is the first 3D print I've actually gone ahead and had made and I'm glad I did!
I might have a go at drawing/making a more elaborate holder which can be mounted or propped up inside a display case... Maybe even a battery operated, turning holder so both sides can be simultaneously displayed! I'm loving the possibilities and enjoy messing around like this.

I'd love to know what you all think of what I've done here and if you have any ideas or suggestions/critiques!

Recently I've been messing around in my spare time with Autodesk Fusion360 to design all sorts of things and the other day I figured I'd have a crack at something super simple but which I thought might be quite effective. So I designed it pretty hastily on Tuesday afternoon and sent my finished drawing off to a relatively local guy who has a 3D printer, and it arrived today! I've taken several photos with my phone so please excuse the quality, but if I have these made out of some kind of metal in future, or even a much higher quality plastic, I'll take some more professional shots with my photography gear.

So, here's one of the first print I've received. The guy's printer messed up during printing and somehow I ended up with ten of these, so five sets/pairs.

View attachment 354865

And, here we have the finished thing serving its intended purpose...

View attachment 354866

View attachment 354867

View attachment 354868

View attachment 354869

Now, obviously that "purpose" is to simply look pretty/cool, but I quite like the way it's turned out, even if the print quality isn't spectacular.

The guy printed two in a darker grey which, as you can see, isn't quite such good quality as the paler grey:

View attachment 354870

View attachment 354871

View attachment 354872

However, the dimensions on the paler grey were ever so slightly out. As you can see, the holes on the underside which I'd allowed to insert 2x1mm neodymium magnets are quite a bit smaller on the pale grey coin holders, but the print quality is so much neater on the bottom.

Anyway, I only allowed +0.1mm on the diameter for the magnet holes, but I allowed the very same amount extra on the circular area for the actual coin to slot in and it's made for a perfectly snug fit. Again, it's a bit smaller on the pale grey but the plastic has a little flexibility so once you pop the coin in, it's such a perfect fit that there's no need for the magnets at all!

This is the first 3D print I've actually gone ahead and had made and I'm glad I did!
I might have a go at drawing/making a more elaborate holder which can be mounted or propped up inside a display case... Maybe even a battery operated, turning holder so both sides can be simultaneously displayed! I'm loving the possibilities and enjoy messing around like this.

I'd love to know what you all think of what I've done here and if you have any ideas or suggestions/critiques!
Nicely done

@SiRacer420 would probably have suggestions

That's a cool design. It looks like his printer needs to be leveled. The lines you see on the bottom should be near invisible.

This one isn't perfect but you can see the difference.

IMG_5106.JPG

Being unlevel could also make stuff not line up. The only real way to make it perfect is to have the printer next to you so you can print and make adjustments and print more. I usually print several versions of something before I get nailed down just the way I want it.

Oh that one that's too tight is because the bed is too close to the extruder. Again bed leveling. If it's too tight it squishes the bottom layer and makes the diameter off. I would allow for up to a half mm tolerance.

That's a cool design. It looks like his printer needs to be leveled. The lines you see on the bottom should be near invisible.

This one isn't perfect but you can see the difference.

View attachment 354905

Being unlevel could also make stuff not line up. The only real way to make it perfect is to have the printer next to you so you can print and make adjustments and print more. I usually print several versions of something before I get nailed down just the way I want it.

Oh that one that's too tight is because the bed is too close to the extruder. Again bed leveling. If it's too tight it squishes the bottom layer and makes the diameter off. I would allow for up to a half mm tolerance.

That's interesting! I'd be gutted if I'd paid out a fair bit. I went with the cheapest options on 3D Hubs so I wouldn't be surprised if they're new and unaware of that. I'm definitely going to have something similar made from a higher quality plastic, so will opt for a seller with a bigger portfolio and better equipment.

I was just about to offer to print them for you but I see you're in the UK. The shipping would be more than the part lol

Latest Posts

Back