• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Carbon Fibre Juliets - my homage to this wonderful design

Hmmmmm.... good point, thing is, I have a set of titanium e-wire 1.0, titanium Juliet's and titanium Romeo's, and that was why I originally decided to make the Juliet's and the Romeo's in carbon fibre and thought I would get round to making matching e-wire's in CF..... if at all possible, but they are very thin ....

But I take you point completely.... And the Mars or Craters do look better :cool-33:

Hmmmmm.... good point, thing is, I have a set of titanium e-wire 1.0, titanium Juliet's and titanium Romeo's, and that was why I originally decided to make the Juliet's and the Romeo's in carbon fibre and thought I would get round to making matching e-wire's in CF..... if at all possible, but they are very thin ....

But I take you point completely.... And the Mars or Craters do look better :cool-33:
Would you mind posting some new pictures of the ones you alredy have made, maybe with lenses.

Great to see your updates, and very much looking forward to seeing any updates you are able to post.
As others have mentioned, lots of folks interested in your art work! So cool to see.

also, i would imagine that you would be fine selling them as long as you do not list Oakley or any of the frame names. judging by the HUGE amount of knock offs listed as 'running glasses, active sport sunglasses, biking frames, etc.' some of the newer sites listing knockoffs even have them named like XRomeo, XJuliet, ETC.

in the past the knock offs that i have noticed getting shut down, all actually had an Oakley logo or something on them. so it was the branding copyright that got them shut down.

It's not that sunny here in the UK, but here are a few new photos of the pair that I have been using.

The Romeo's and the Juliet's (titanium versions in the background (not that I am a photographer or anything :idk:)

DSC01102 small.JPG

DSC01103 small.JPG

I have recently re-lacquered the Juliets, but the Romeo's were lacquered over a year ago and they have held up well.

I found a really great lacquer from Germany that is Matt and soft to the touch. It's weird, it's very hard wearing and I use an airbrush to apply, once it is on, it gives the frame an unusually soft touch, hard, but soft (easier to feel than explain :crazy:)

DSC01105 small.JPG

These are both first versions, hand finished and lacquered and for me, they are not yet good enough, although I have been wearing the Romeo's for over a year now....

But I have some improvements to make to the way I create them... last stage finishing, prior to lacquering etc.

I also need to improve the gasket that I laser cut, the Romeo's are ok, but I didn't have any good rubber to hand at the time, and the photos made me realise I need to re-cut them with some better, softer rubber.

Oh, and the rubber's on the Juliet's are bad copies, just waiting for some better ones to arrive.

Interestingly, the CF is approximately half the weight of the titanium versions:
DSC01110 small.JPG

DSC01111 small.JPG

DSC01112 small.JPG

DSC01113 small.JPG

And one last one where you can see the weave fibres in the nose bridge of the Romeo's

DSC01101 small.JPG

DSC01113 small.JPG

It's not that sunny here in the UK, but here are a few new photos of the pair that I have been using.

The Romeo's and the Juliet's (titanium versions in the background (not that I am a photographer or anything :idk:)

View attachment 886014

View attachment 886015

I have recently re-lacquered the Juliets, but the Romeo's were lacquered over a year ago and they have held up well.

I found a really great lacquer from Germany that is Matt and soft to the touch. It's weird, it's very hard wearing and I use an airbrush to apply, once it is on, it gives the frame an unusually soft touch, hard, but soft (easier to feel than explain :crazy:)

View attachment 886016

These are both first versions, hand finished and lacquered and for me, they are not yet good enough, although I have been wearing the Romeo's for over a year now....

But I have some improvements to make to the way I create them... last stage finishing, prior to lacquering etc.

I also need to improve the gasket that I laser cut, the Romeo's are ok, but I didn't have any good rubber to hand at the time, and the photos made me realise I need to re-cut them with some better, softer rubber.

Oh, and the rubber's on the Juliet's are bad copies, just waiting for some better ones to arrive.

Interestingly, the CF is approximately half the weight of the titanium versions:
View attachment 886017

View attachment 886018

View attachment 886021

View attachment 886023

And one last one where you can see the weave fibres in the nose bridge of the Romeo's

View attachment 886024

View attachment 886022
They look incredible - the weight advantage is a great feature of them!!

That's a good point actually. I mean, they really don't feel like you have anything on your face, although you do !!

But, they are not as strong as the titanium ones, because the carbon fibre is subject to the contours and shapes where it's hard to get them as strong. They are like reinforced plastic, rather than metal, if you see what I mean.

Still, I have treated them carefully and they are fine 👍

Wow those look beautiful and awesome to see the weight savings.
That could really help to make the R1 a bit more comfortable on those nose bombs pressure point too :)

I am super excited to see your progress - thank you so much for posting up, and continuing your incredible Carbon Fiber build!

View attachment 886014

View attachment 886015

View attachment 886016

View attachment 886017

View attachment 886018

View attachment 886021

View attachment 886023

View attachment 886024

View attachment 886022

Soo impressive.

Two Recommendations:
1. Juliet maybe do a xsquared type setup for the juliet, not sure what pins you are using but they look great!
2. The R1 stems are folding in on the lenswhich could be all or one of:
a. the hinge stop on the stem is not built up enough.
b. The stems are too short
c. the angle where the orbitals meet the nosebridge re the orbitals themselves are causing too much of a curve.

I am saving up my $ for commissioning a project pair here as I type this...

OH! and you may not be able to sell the whole frames yet but... can you sell parts? like if someone has a broken orbital/nosebridge/earstem?!?!?! an xmetal romeo with carbon fiber bridge and stems would be sick!

Back