• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Cube Build

Elfmaze

Oakley Beginner
I'll be documenting my progress on a custom cube display I am building. working with some new materials and techniques so hopefully its not too painfull a learning process.

The Goal, a basic cube design with a wooden base.

Oakleywoodcopy.jpg

Starting with 1/8" thick 1.5" aluminum angle iron. got my first pieces cut for the top rim.

IMAG0427.jpg

IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

Looks good so far and i am really liking the wooden base.....are you planning to weld the aluminum or use rivet to hold the top together?

Looks good so far and i am really liking the wooden base.....are you planning to weld the aluminum or use rivet to hold the top together?

One of the goals that got me going on this project was a desire to practice with the TIG on aluminum a bit. But at the same time I do kind of like the sharp corners and grain of the aluminum up top. I may try welding the inside edge and try not to drip or punch thru. Design wise it may tie together though if I run beads along the bottom of the uprights for the feet. So haven't really decided if I want the welds to be visable or not yet.

I am going to try using bolts to connect the uprights. breaking down for shipping would be usefull. But not at the expense of wobbling if I can't get it tight.

Didn't have too much time today, But I did get two of the uprights cut. Also ran out of angle aluminum. so represented in this picture is 8' and you will need 32" more to finish the project. Also conveniently there are four triangles of scrap that will do fine for the bottom of the legs.

It looks like I may not get those clean lines after all. Turns out my 45* cut may have been more 46* or 47*. I don't think when all squared up its going to be as tight as Oakley's machine shop was able to produce. So beads it may be!

IMAG0436-1.jpg

Another success for today was proving the carriage bolts will work! 1/4" carriage bolts, drilled a 1/4" hole and gave it a few raps with the hammer to set the bolt a few mm's in. Then got the ratchet on it and pulled it tight. Went right into the aluminum seems tight. might add some epoxy when I do the real ones to really set them in there. I cannot get this one out.

IMAG0437.jpg

IMAG0438.jpg

I thought about using carriage bolts, but I didn't like that they still have the hardness marks on the head. Just look like bolts. Especially since they're a different finish

Latest Posts

Back