• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom DIY Stand

ajirbl

Oakley Expert
So I'd been searching for a few months trying to find a sunglass stand suitable for a total of 16 pairs that I've decided I'm going to keep my collection to. My requirements were at least 4 pairs high while displaying the arms. I'd seen a few customs on ebay with parts of Oakley stands kickin around for a price upwards of $200...wasn't going to pay that. So I did what any crazy person would do, started going to any and ever store I could think of to try and find parts to make my own. Here is what I came up with.

photo.JPG

It's made of a ...stainless steel toilet brush holder from walmart. I cut a piece of the wife's scrapbooking paper that was the exact height and length of the tube's circumference laid out a hole pattern and punched holes in those spots. Wrapped the paper around the tube, marked the spots, drilled holes, installed bolts and washers and tightened them down. Covered the front bolt ends with stainless acorn nuts with rubber washers in front and behind where the nosepiece would be, and used shrink tubing to cover the remaining metal on the bolts. Allows me to display and easily access the 16 pairs I'm going to keep around while not taking up too much room.

Total Cost for the 4 tier stand...$15.

I can recognize the donor parts, but only because you list them... Mostly.:D

Overall, good job. Looks nice.

BTW, if you were trying to maintain selfie anonymity, that's gone now - see lens reflections...:wink:

Nice set of XXs.

Great idea!!!! I love when members take the time to go out on a limb and try stuff!! I would put the rubber cap on the nosebride mount also with a few o rings, as you did with the stem holder. It would suck if you grabbed it quickly and scratched the nosebridge with that acorn nut.

Great idea!!!! I love when members take the time to go out on a limb and try stuff!! I would put the rubber cap on the nosebride mount also with a few o rings, as you did with the stem holder. It would suck if you grabbed it quickly and scratched the nosebridge with that acorn nut.
There is a rubber washer/o-ring behind the acorn nut to protect the nose bridge. I just need to be careful when I put them on the stand.

Back