• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Double Wide Build-Almost Done!

We powder coat at my shop and we have a black we use that's called hot rod black. It's kind of textured and has a matte finish that would look bad ass I think

That's exactly what I was thinking. That and add the copper accents would really look good.

Other than a Welding Machine, what other tools are needed to tackle a project like this?

If you use fasteners you could likely get away with nothing but a cutoff wheel on a die/angle grinder and a drill-driver. Probably wouldn't look anywhere near as clean though.

Looks like Q used a power hacksaw with settable angle, a MIG welder, perhaps a small brake to trim the sheet, and probably a sander/grinder to clean up all the edges. Along with a welding table to hold everything in place.

Rustpot said:
If you use fasteners you could likely get away with nothing but a cutoff wheel on a die/angle grinder and a drill-driver. Probably wouldn't look anywhere near as clean though.

Looks like Q used a power hacksaw with settable angle, a MIG welder, perhaps a small brake to trim the sheet, and probably a sander/grinder to clean up all the edges. Along with a welding table to hold everything in place.

So far I've used:
8ft shear
10ft shear
Metal band saw
Angle grinder with flap wheel and grinding disc
Hand/table shear
Mig welder
8ft brake
6ft brake
Vise grips/grasshoppers
And one table.

Still gonna need to use:
Hand drill
maybe a tap and die set

I thinks that's it

I thought about having it bolt together, but as rustpot said, it wouldn't look as clean and I didn't really want to piss around with drilling all the holes and all that. It's much easier for me to just weld it together. But everything has its downsides, I can't take this apart in any way.

So far I've used:
8ft shear
10ft shear
Metal band saw
Angle grinder with flap wheel and grinding disc
Hand/table shear
Mig welder
8ft brake
6ft brake
Vise grips/grasshoppers
And one table.

Still gonna need to use:
Hand drill
maybe a tap and die set

I thinks that's it

I thought about having it bolt together, but as rustpot said, it wouldn't look as clean and I didn't really want to piss around with drilling all the holes and all that. It's much easier for me to just weld it together. But everything has its downsides, I can't take this apart in any way.

Thanks for the information. Although I've never done any metal work, I've recently took the plunge and acquired a MIG welder and a Horizontal BandSaw. Sounds like I still need to pick up some more tools and do some reading before I tackle any projects.

Back