• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Etching?

You know I thought about buying an etcher but was concerned that the market wouldn't support what you would likely need to charge for this service.
Charge $20 for the service and toast a set of lenses then you are doing the next 4 pair for free. So let me float this: what would be a reasonable price for etching?
What would you pay to have a pair etched? If you didn't already own an etcher it's about 2K for a decent one so there's that to factor in.

Eds Junk was doing numerous ones in the beginning, but after awhile it dropped off to nothing. I know he was buying and asking for as many scratched up and damaged lenses as he could to "test" the angles on the lens, the laser intensity, and proper location so it didn't inhibit the wearer. But how can this laser benefit you in other ways? I see much more then just etching lenses

Custom lens etching is kinda like a short time fad/craze. Unless your going to do something "Oakley" related, like a profile skull, scatter skull, or an O icon, or even the IH cross, then you chances of a resale drop. Lets say you want your name, favorite sport team, or something where a potential buyer would not, consider you would have gotten more for the pair with un-etched lenses, or an oakley related etch.... Now, you could always buy another pair, cut another pair, or simply take a value hit, either way its going to cost you more $$$ Many of us keep pairs for awhile, then sell them.

Then you can take this to another level and create custom pairs like another member did using Michael Jordans # and color matching a Juliet, or making the "Monster" Juliet using the energy drink logo in the corner of the lens with green unobtainium.

Here is an example of Eds fine etching.....

gyqydyna.jpg

y4eregyb.jpg

heryqyje.jpg

But how can this laser benefit you in other ways? I see much more then just etching lenses
That's the idea, to get a laser that will etch the easy stuff like polycarbonate/ plastics but also etch metals, ceramics, etc.
Do other stuff with it.

Yeah, I've tried emailing edsjunk and no response. He really did quite beautiful work it looks like. I think when it comes to laser etching lowering value.. I agree and disagree at the same time. It raises the personal value to me. The monetary value, certainly it lowers, however, I think a lot of people here on the forum that have the kind of money to just throw at getting a word or a symbol etched on a lens have the kind of money to say, "Screw it, it's just another pair of lenses". I'm waiting on some positive red juliet lenses to be cut and I would love to have them etched with my nickname. That's OEM cost of donor lens, plus cut job, plus etching job.. and I have no problem with it cause it's personal to me. And then there's always the fact that different people have different values to what they want. I'm willing to pay someone 75 + donor to cut some infinite hero lenses for me to fit my IH Juliet frame, whereas someone else might only be willing to pay 20. If I had the money and wasn't worried about screwing up someone else's lenses, I'd get a laser etcher myself. The fact that you can etch more than just lenses is also awesome and might also provide you with more money making opportunities. See video:

So it seems that EdsJunk is no longer in the etching game. Too bad since his work looks really good.
Anyone else that can etch lenses?

Last edited:
Back