• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Fees!

washi me sensie

The Oakley Rōnin
hello bros!

i was about to send some pairs to xman for some work and found out that there would be "extra fees" to pay. the first time i inquired they said that i have to pay 100$ for the package to get delivered. now as i was about to pay, my courier told me of an extra 80$ for the US entry fee and an "unknown" amount to pay for the custom fees! the unknown amount they said would be determined when my package arrives in the US as the customs will calculate it. so my question is... do anyone know how do they calculate the fees? my package involves 1 penny and an XX. i really wanted them to be repaired and painted by mark! thanks bros!

From the CBP Website (US Customs & Border Patrol)

Informal Entries: If the value of your purchase(s) is less than $2000 and your goods are being shipped by mail or freight, they may, in most cases, be imported as an informal entry. However, there are exceptions to this. For instance, if the importation is determined to be for commercial purposes, the value limit for filing an informal entry for many textile items is either $250 or $0 - depending on whether or not the item is subject to Quota (see below). Clearing goods through CBP as an informal entry is less arduous a process than clearing them by filing a formal entry. Essentially, when goods are cleared as an informal entry, CBP will prepare the paperwork, including determining the classification number and duty rate for your merchandise.

The duty rate for many items typically bought in an on-line auction is zero, however, CBP may charge a small processing fee for mail imports that do require the payment of duty.

If your goods are sent by a courier or express service, their brokers will usually handle the paperwork, and bill you for their services.

If your goods are being shipped by freight, and you want to clear them through CBP yourself, be sure the shipping company has instructions to deliver them to a port near you. Otherwise, you will need to arrange for someone else to clear the goods for you when they arrive. Your alternative is to ask the seller to make arrangements to have your goods forwarded to your door, in which case you should expect to pay for the services of the customs broker who coordinates this when your goods

Full link for some fun reading here;
Internet Purchases - CBP.gov

And I'm looking around a bit, it seems $200, not $250 is the general cutoff for the recipient not being charged import duties.

The few times I've received an international shipment I received it through the post office without being charged. The few times I've sent international packages I've sent them through the post office and not been charged anything other than postage, which has never been more than $15 or so.

I have no idea how it may work in other countries.

From the CBP Website (US Customs & Border Patrol)

Full link for some fun reading here;
Internet Purchases - CBP.gov

And I'm looking around a bit, it seems $200, not $250 is the general cutoff for the recipient not being charged import duties.

The few times I've received an international shipment I received it through the post office without being charged. The few times I've sent international packages I've sent them through the post office and not been charged anything other than postage, which has never been more than $15 or so.

I have no idea how it may work in other countries.

Thanks again bro! maybe the 80$ that my courier is charging is for the paperwork. now that would be ok. Thanks again for the help!

I bought a lot of things from other countries for my R/c airplanes, never paid fees, sometimes things over 400 bucks. If you are shipping to us just put a value of 200-250 and put "for repair" so they will know thatnthe sunglasses are getting in usa for that. Keep your original invoice from the curier so when you get back you can proof that those sunglases are returned to you so avoid also fees. Sometimes you need to make a letter of temporary export.

I bought a lot of things from other countries for my R/c airplanes, never paid fees, sometimes things over 400 bucks. If you are shipping to us just put a value of 200-250 and put "for repair" so they will know thatnthe sunglasses are getting in usa for that. Keep your original invoice from the curier so when you get back you can proof that those sunglases are returned to you so avoid also fees. Sometimes you need to make a letter of temporary export.

thanks bro!!

Go the the fedex or ups website, they have a shipment estimate page that could give you an idea of what everything might cost, even if you dont use them as the carrier.

Latest Posts

Back