• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Mag Switch

andr3

Oakley Expert
Hamburg
I was fortunate to be able to pick up these beauties from @YakuzaFloralGangsta - thanks brother! Mag Switch is an amazing frame. About Juliet size, fantastic coverage, extremely comfortable fit.
With 36 g (vs. 42 g for X-Metals), they are not quite as light as I expected since Magnesium has a density of only 1.8 g/ccm (Al: 2.7 g/ccm; Ti: 4.5 g/cmm). But admittedly, this frame is much thicker than X-Metals and both, Mags and X-Metals, are alloys of course, rather than pure Mg or Ti. You can also tell Mg has a much higher heat conductivity than Ti - these get cold AF.
Absolutely love them.

2020.01.26_11.11.25.JPG
2020.01.26_11.12.59.JPG

Obviously, this is a custom with refurbished black ceramic coating, red icons and clean lenses. Maybe you guys can help me identify the latter. The coating looks like deep red Ruby, w/ some purple hue in the red and no green in the yellow regions (like Fire).

2020.01.26_11.20.55.JPG

However looking through them they seem to have an Amber base lens, like Fire Iridium. (top: shot 2005 Square Wire 2.0 Fire lens; bottom: Mag Switch)

2020.01.26_11.21.16.JPG

They are certainly not Rubys, which have a gray base. Since the Ruby coating filters out the lower frequencies of the visual spectrum, the remaining light seems blueish at times. (top: 2000 Juliet Ruby Iridium; bottom: Mag Switch).

There were Mag Switches w/ Fire of course, but these lenses here are insanely red from most angles (much more than it seems in the pictures). It's almost like they are Ruby coating on a Fire base. Any ideas - just a freak batch or 3rd party?

Last edited:
I was fortunate to be able to pick up these beauties from @YakuzaFloralGangsta - thanks brother! Mag Switch is an amazing frame. About Juliet size, fantastic coverage, extremely comfortable fit.
With 36 g (vs. 42 g for X-Metals), they are not quite as light as I expected since Magnesium has a density of only 1.8 g/ccm (Al: 2.7 g/ccm; Ti: 4.5 g/cmm). But admittedly, this frame is much thicker than X-Metals and both, Mags and X-Metals, are alloys of course, rather than pure Mg or Ti. You can also tell Mg has a much higher heat conductivity than Ti - these get cold AF.
Absolutely love them.

View attachment 696516View attachment 696517

Obviously, this is a custom with refurbished black ceramic coating, red icons and clean lenses. Maybe you guys can help me identify the latter. The coating looks like deep red Ruby, w/ some purple hue in the red and no green in the yellow regions (like Fire).

View attachment 696518
However looking through them they seem to have an Amber base lens, like Fire Iridium. (top: shot 2005 Square Wire 2.0 Fire lens; bottom: Mag Switch)

View attachment 696519
They are certainly not Rubys, which have a gray base. Since the Ruby coating filters out the lower frequencies of the visual spectrum, the remaining light seems blueish at times. (top: 2000 Juliet Ruby Iridium; bottom: Mag Switch).

There were Mag Switches w/ Fire of course, but these lenses here are insanely red from most angles (much more than it seems in the pictures). It's almost like they are Ruby coating on a Fire base. Any ideas - just a freak batch or 3rd party?

That is one sexy Mag Switch, congrats.

Best one to ask about the lenses is @YakuzaFloralGangsta. I'm sure he knows what went into that custom.

Absolutely love them.

View attachment 696516View attachment 696517

View attachment 696518

View attachment 696519

Don't know where you get your information from, Blue is the original base colour for Ruby.

Don't know where you get your information from, Blue is the original base colour for Ruby.
I know you're a Ruby man, so it's hard to say anything to the contrary. Source: Ruby Iridium . I once asked about the base lenses at an Oakley Store and they told me the same thing. Additionally, sunlight minus red and yellow spectrum leaving blue seems plausible to me (w/o the need for a blue base). Maybe somebody got a shot Ruby they can grind off the coating from for confirmation. ;)

Unless theyre ruby polarized which apparently have a different tint when looking through them. There was a post about that here a few days ago

I see you've visited O-Review today, isn't the fact that if you type in Ruby Iridium, read some of the responses, proof enough?

Oak -
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg

I love this lens. My favourite (for now) of all Oakley lenses. The blue base used on the lens gives a soothing view and doesn't hurt the eyes after hours of wearing it. Definitely created to be used in bright sunlight.

Yes, the lens is more orange than when it was introduced and is just a tad more red than orginal Fire. However, it's still very uniquely Ruby and very nice to look at.

Was this review helpful? Yes | OK | No

DoctorCrip -
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg

I used to think that Titanium was my favorite lens color, but that was before I owned a pair of Ruby lensed Oakleys. Of course, what first drew me to the Ruby was the way they looked from the outside, but the way they look while wearing them impressed me even more. I find that the blueish tint they produce is very soothing and easy to look through. With Fire being another similar option in terms of outside look, the greenish tint that they produce is what kept me from ever buying a pair with that color lens. So, not only is Ruby better looking at compared to Fire, but also looking through. However, it's also better compared to any other color lens I have ever tried.

RubyMars -
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg
icon_skull.svg

Not the darkest lense around, but other qualities more than make up for that. The blue hue to the lense makes it the most comfortable lense for your eyes, especially when fatigued (read, post-hangover/all nighter lense). Lots of people complain about the color, but outside in direct sunlight mine look as red as ever. Use in a dark frame. Another flashy lense, so ya might have to work to coordinate with an outfit.

I see you've visited O-Review today, isn't the fact that if you type in Ruby Iridium, read some of the resposes, proof enough?

I believe you, bro. Absolutely no intend of arguing here. Just answering your question where I got the info from. My original question was about the Mag Switch lens anyways.

I believe you, bro. Absolutely no intend of arguing here. Just answering your question where I got the info from. My original question was about the Mag Switch lens anyways.

Sorry if I appeared aggresive(got a snotty cold and didn't have a good sleep last night). I'm merely presenting facts, not arguing.

I think there is some terminology confusion with base and hue (not just here but in general)

The base of a lens is the color of the polycarbonate blank prior to adding iridum and other coatings.

The HUE is the color looking through the lens AFTER the iridium is added.

The iridium effects the color, as kronin demonstrated here Can the iridium coating affect the base tint appearance? by sanding off the iridium.

Ruby does in fact have a grey base, and when you take the iridium off you can see that. Dann also has ruby listed as a grey base.

But it does have a blue hue after the iridium is applied.

Latest Posts

Back