• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Customs Duties - Who is responsible?

salj838

Oakley Expert
Dubai, UAE
Had a trouble with a buyer today as his country's customs asked him to provide an invoice to accept the shipment. The package value in actuality is $220 (for 2 lenses a free pair of T6 screws) and I have declared it for $60 to avoid recipient being dutied under the assumption of personal use.

Buyer messaged me about the above and asking me of I declared it for $220 and that if so he will have to pay for 50 euros or if otherwise me to provide an invoice if I have declared it less that $220 and that I forgotten to include the free t6 screws as well. Now it took me 1 day to respond and little I realised the buyer used the $220 Paypal receipt to get the package so he got dutied for 50 euros.

So I responded that I will resent the free t6 screws when I get the chance to go the post and that too bad that he got dutied but this is beyond my control if a shipment gets dutied or not when it arrives to his country.

And this is what I get as a response: Please don't resend anything! Won`t do anymore business with you. Updated fake-invoice about 60 USD would have been great, but now this was my worst deal related to Oakley stuff.

So I responded back entirely up to him if he do not want the screws but note that he has to bear in mind that duties are buyer's responsibility.

Then further responded its an incomplete packaging and untrue customs declaration so its not up to him. Then ignored me so I am unable to respond to the thread.

Had this buyer waited for another day for me to provide an invoice he would have not needed to pay 50euros.

I wonder what is the normal practice generally?
Most buyers appreciates packages being declared less than what they pay for but not today...

Some people think that when they send you a message that you need to reply within the next 2 minutes. Unfortunately things are not like that as you can only reply when you actually see the message.

It's not your fault the buyer was not patient enough to wait for you to see the message and reply. You would have gladly sent him an invoice for 60 and all would have been well.

There are people who no matter how much it's THEIR fault they will swear they did nothing wrong.

If they will no longer do business with you then I say good riddance as they are now someone else's problem. I would not want the headache of that type of person.

Some people think that when they send you a message that you need to reply within the next 2 minutes. Unfortunately things are not like that as you can only reply when you actually see the message.

It's not your fault the buyer was not patient enough to wait for you to see the message and reply. You would have gladly sent him an invoice for 60 and all would have been well.

There are people who no matter how much it's THEIR fault they will swear they did nothing wrong.

If they will no longer do business with you then I say good riddance as they are now someone else's problem. I would not want the headache of that type of person.
I agree with Frank he should have waited for you to respond. his impatience cost him a lot. Not your fault ! I ask them what they want to delclare it for and to bare in mind if lost insurance will only cover that amount if insured! I keep email response.

Buyer's responsibility as they are the one importing, that's how it is in law, at least here.

What country are we talking about? In the UK, the package isn't released until any customs fees have been paid (outside a couple of big shippers) so the buyer wouldn't have known the screws were missing if the fee was outstanding. I wouldn't want to go back to Customs with a revised invoice if an item had already been assessed, I can't imagine they would look too charitably on that...

Import duties are what the word says duties when a good in imported to a country and it is being taxed.
of course u did the right thing @salj838 and i also appreciate when sellers undervalue the goods so that i dont get
violated by customs, in fact i always ask to place a maximum of 30-95 usd value depending on the good shipped

Last edited:
Buyer's responsibility as they are the one importing, that's how it is in law, at least here.

What country are we talking about? In the UK, the package isn't released until any customs fees have been paid (outside a couple of big shippers) so the buyer wouldn't have known the screws were missing if the fee was outstanding. I wouldn't want to go back to Customs with a revised invoice if an item had already been assessed, I can't imagine they would look too charitably on that...
Its Germany. He said the screws were not contained when he said he paid up the duties so i am under the impression he paid first before he realised the screws are not there. I offered to resent the screws cos i promised a freebie and i would like to honor my word..
Yeah and I agree, once you presented a more expensive invoice and come back with a cheaper one they will most likely say take a piss...

Back