• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Customs

the_owl

hard to kidnap
U.S.
Im wondering if anyone has experience bringing stuff back from vacation. Im sure many of you do. Im headed to Ireland soon and I want to bring back a friends bike. I dont want to pull any scams, but I also dont want to get raked over by customs. What typically happens with something like this coming back to the US ?
thanks

Im wondering if anyone has experience bringing stuff back from vacation. Im sure many of you do. Im headed to Ireland soon and I want to bring back a friends bike. I dont want to pull any scams, but I also dont want to get raked over by customs. What typically happens with something like this coming back to the US ?
thanks

How are you transporting it, as oversized luggage? What's the value?

Basically on the plane before you land they give you a customs declaration form. At the bottom is a section where you list the total value of goods and merch you got abroad that you're bringing back with you (not mailed/shipped). On the back, you itemize those goods & merch.

US residents are usually given a duty exemption up to $800, and duty is assessed on the first $1000 above the exemption.

You deplane, go through the passport checkpoint, collect your checked luggage, then go through a checkpoint where you hand in that form. If you have to pay any duty, that's when that happens.

Basically on the plane before you land they give you a customs declaration form. At the bottom is a section where you list the total value of goods and merch you got abroad that you're bringing back with you (not mailed/shipped). On the back, you itemize those goods & merch.

US residents are usually given a duty exemption up to $800, and duty is assessed on the first $1000 above the exemption.

You deplane, go through the passport checkpoint, collect your checked luggage, then go through a checkpoint where you hand in that form. If you have to pay any duty, that's when that happens.
And everytime they asked me if I had anything to declare I always told them I had a great time and it's good to be back. ;) Then they let me go. :p

:rofl:

Probably in a soft bike bag. Its "retail" value probably like $4000. But its used. How does that work?

Probably in a soft bike bag. Its "retail" value probably like $4000. But its used. How does that work?

The only kinda-related guideline is, for gifts use the retail value. The question would be, does "retail value" mean what a new one is priced at, or what you could sell the used one for? I believe in practice it's usually the latter, but it seems to be a grey area...

If I were you I'd declare the value at $750 and let them exercise the opportunity to challenge that, if they so choose. In my experience one just typically walks through the line and hands them the form without even slowing down, no inspections performed, but in this case it might draw more attention. Still...

And everytime they asked me if I had anything to declare I always told them I had a great time and it's good to be back. ;) Then they let me go. :p

:rofl:
Lol i normally reply to their same question when i return...." No comments at this time,thanks"

Back