• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting lenses by hand (a guide)

Thank you, @SiRacer420, for the special mention in the original post!

So, I read the great write up a few times and a few more times after that then brought out my tools and followed the guide step by step. The donor lenses were Straightlink polarized lenses (torch, dwp, and violet). Took me about an hour per set as I really did everything very carefully. The DWP was planned for a MD frame but made a mistake :headbang: at one point so I saved it by cutting it for NSJ frame instead. Oh well! IF I also screw that up, then I could cut it for a Penny frame. :D

IMG_6852.JPG
IMG_6853.JPG
IMG_6854.JPG
IMG_6855.JPG
IMG_6856.JPG
IMG_6857.JPG
IMG_6860.JPG
IMG_6861.JPG
IMG_6862.JPG
IMG_6867.JPG

Thank you, @SiRacer420, for the special mention in the original post!

So, I read the great write up a few times and a few more times after that then brought out my tools and followed the guide step by step. The donor lenses were Straightlink polarized lenses (torch, dwp, and violet). Took me about an hour per set as I really did everything very carefully. The DWP was planned for a MD frame but made a mistake :headbang: at one point so I saved it by cutting it for NSJ frame instead. Oh well! IF I also screw that up, then I could cut it for a Penny frame. :D

View attachment 569005 View attachment 569006 View attachment 569007 View attachment 569008 View attachment 569009 View attachment 569010 View attachment 569013 View attachment 569014 View attachment 569015 View attachment 569019

Looks great bro!!!! Looks like we can send some lenses to @iamFLIP to chop for us as well.

Once those lenses get too small for a penny you just have to throw them out. :eek:

Looks great bro!!!! Looks like we can send some lenses to @iamFLIP to chop for us as well.

Once those lenses get too small for a penny you just have to throw them out. :eek:

Thanks! However, I don't think I'll have time to cut for others. My wife was already giving me the "why don't you just buy the correct lenses?" look. o_O

Anyway, if i make a mistake in cutting too small for a penny, then I will cut if for my kids' frames.

@iamFLIP those look great! Waaaay better than my first few.

That’s funny though because I have a pair that started getting cut for MD then got ****ed up and went to NSJ and those didn’t work so well so I cut em for XS Fives. Those and Half Pints can be cut from a lot of smaller lenses. That makes it a lot better for kids that are hard on lenses too.

You know I totally have to admit something.

I ****ed up another set of lenses yesterday. Romeo 1 is just something I think I shouldn't try anymore. I've only been successful like twice out of the 6 odd I've tried. Did the right lense with zero issue. Then I got either extra stupid or I started to loose focus. Ruined a perfectly good donor set of ruby. So that being said I contacted my buddy Randy and just bought a set. Dammit.

Dude Romeo lenses scare me. I did one set of Jade way back when and I did a set for GP99 that came out meh. I’ve been putting off cutting an Ice set I got because I know that bevel is a ****. I really hate cutting X Metal lenses.

Have you ever done a Hatchet? Talk about a **** bevel. I did one for Trump that looks like my four year old cut. I have to practice a lot more on those.

Dude Romeo lenses scare me. I did one set of Jade way back when and I did a set for GP99 that came out meh. I’ve been putting off cutting an Ice set I got because I know that bevel is a ****. I really hate cutting X Metal lenses.

Have you ever done a Hatchet? Talk about a **** bevel. I did one for Trump that looks like my four year old cut. I have to practice a lot more on those.

I think she did ok for a 4 year old

Back